Gaming for Haiti: hobby turns into help

Video games can be a great way to relax and unwind after class for some students. But today, students can do more than relax; they can help Haitians in need by picking up a video-game controller. 

Iota Phi Theta fraternity, in collaboration with student EA Games brand representative and junior Latif Alam, has organized the 2010 Haiti Relief Videogame Tournament.

For a $1 entry fee that will go to Haiti relief, attendees can eat free food from Bucceto’s Pizza & Pasta Restaurant while competing in the newest Madden game.

The winner of the tournament will walk away with a cash prize and a copy of the game.

“It’s for a good cause, it’s a fun time, and it doesn’t take long either. It’s not a huge time commitment,” said sophomore David Young, EA representative intern.

Given the responsibility to promote and establish a demand for new EA games around campus, Alam paired with the fraternity to organize the tournament. Attendees can expect to find four gaming systems — two Playstation 3 and two Xbox consoles — and to compete in one-on-one games.

“You can win some cash in the process and free games and free T-shirts,” Alam said. “I mean, college is all about free T-shirts.”

Iota Phi Theta Graduate Adviser Michael Menafee worked to coordinate the event with the American Red Cross.

“All donations will be donated to the American Red Cross Monroe Country Chapter and they will send the money wherever it needs to be,” Menafee said.

Alam, Menafee and Young said they strongly encourage students to attend the event.
Although EA Games has sponsored previous events on campus, this is only its second event to send proceeds towards a charity.

“Originally it was supposed to be a Madden tournament as a rush event for the fraternity,” Alam said. “But after the whole event in Haiti happened, they decided it would be better to show it as a formal community service and communal outreach.”