City meets rural living in ‘The Drawer Boy’

A city-boy actor trying to live life on a farm might sound like the perfect reality-show premise, but “The Drawer Boy” is a deeper story of everlasting friendship and the growth of understanding between three men.

The Cardinal Stage Company show, which opened Friday, centers around Miles, who shows up ready and willing to work on characters Morgan and Angus’ farm to research rural life for his new play. Morgan agrees, but neither knows what they are getting into.

Miles, an unwitting city boy, is given tasks as practical as moving hay and as ridiculous as polishing gravel. Morgan, who takes care of his memory-impaired friend Angus on the farm, finds out too late exactly what Miles is observing and writing down for his play.

Slowly, gaps in Angus’s memory are filled in front of the audience. Miles’ play forces Angus to confront the night he received his memory-impairing injury and the history between him and Morgan.

Kathy Doering, Bloomington resident , said she had no idea what the play was going to be about but was very pleased with what she saw.

“I loved it,” Doering said. “I liked all of it. It was so well done.”

Patty Cole, wife of actor Dave Cole, who portrayed Angus, said she was proud of her husband’s performance but also enjoyed the show as a whole.

“I’m pleased with all of them,” Cole said. “I thought they really pulled it together. It was pretty solid.”

IU employee Sean Pendergast said the play was “intense” and he especially liked the ending.

“I thought it was beautiful,” Pendergast said. “It started really slowly, and I was concerned it was going to pay off, but it was absolutely wonderful intense. The actors were terrific, all three of them.”