Sorority rush: How ranking works

After 19 Party
•     Women select up to 14 houses that they would like to return to at First Invite. They order the next five so that if they do not receive one of their top 14 back, the next in line will take that place.
•     Few women receive 14 houses back, and even fewer receive their top 14 choices.

After First Invite (14 Party)
•     Women select up to eight houses that they would like to return to at Second Invite. They order the next six so that if they do not receive one of their top eight back, the next in line will take that place.
•     If a potential new member does not have eight houses to rank, then she will list as many as she has and may not leave any off the list.

After Second Invite (8 Party)
•     Women select up to three houses that they would like to return to at Preference Round. They order the next five so that if they do not receive one of their top three back, the next in line will take that place.
•     If a potential new member does not have three houses to rank, she will list the ones she has left.

After Preference Round (3 Party)
•     Women rank up to three houses in the order of which they would accept a bid.
•     If a woman would not accept a bid from a certain chapter, she may leave it off her final list.

Bid Day
•     While potential new members are ranking the sororities they would like to join, sororities are also deciding which potential new members they would like to extend a bid to.
•     Sororities have an invite list and some variation of a “flex list.” This means that if women that they extend a bid to accepted a bid at another chapter or left that chapter off their list, then a woman from the “flex list” takes her place and is offered a bid.
•     Even if a woman is offered more than one bid, she will only learn about the one at the top of her list.

Throughout rush, if a woman skips or misses a party of a chapter that is on her list, she is eliminated from recruitment.