'Lost' in the Numbers: 8 mythology-laden locales

statue

Before “Lost” unspools what will hopefully be an otherworldly final season next week, it’s time to look back. But because “Lost” is so dense, sprawling and complicated, it’s not good enough to just throw together a “best episodes” list. Oh no. Instead, here are six lists, one for every one of the Numbers – 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 – that should sufficiently prep you for the final 18 hours. Second up: the 8 most important locations.

For a series about people on an island, there sure are a lot of places that aren’t just sand and water that are important to the story.

1. The Four-Toed Statue
: Its first appearance in the season two finale perplexed viewers for years and was the seminal “they’re making it up!” moment until it reappeared a few times in season five. It’s mostly notable as Jacob’s place of residence.

2. Jacob’s cabin: Or at least we think. Before the statue, the supernatural Jacob was thought to reside in a roughed-up cabin built by DHARMA boss Horace. The cabin moves all the time, and it’s unknown why some people – most weirdly Hurley – can see it.

3. The Orchid: The most science-fictiony of the DHARMA stations, the Orchid lies deep in the island’s core next to a pocket of negatively charged matter and on top of the Frozen Donkey Wheel that allowed Ben and Locke to move the island.

4. Room 23
: A part of the Hydra compound, this room is seemingly used to brainwash people into believing the way of the Others. It’s fully equipped with insane picture montages, creepy text mantras and overbearing music.

5. The Swan: The first-found and most used by the 815 survivors, the Swan holds the computer that requires entry of the numbers to keep the world from ending. It sits on top of “unique electromagnetic fluctuations” that are subverted by pushing the button.

6. The Temple: Perhaps the most mysterious location of them all, this sanctuary for The Others seemingly also serves as the Smoke Monster’s doghouse and features elaborate tunnels and entrances of which we have yet to see the extent.

7. The Black Rock
: A decrepit old pirate ship that is stationed way inland on the island. It is still unclear how or why the ship is so far inland – or what the hell happened to the people on it.

8. New Otherton
: For two seasons the Others pretended to be dirty, hillbilly vagrants who didn’t wear shoes. Au contraire. Instead, they all live comfortably in a mini suburb-like community fitted with electricity, book clubs and rec centers. Of course they stole it all from the DHARMA Initiative, but that’s a technicality.