Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Thursday, June 20
The Indiana Daily Student

world

Indian officials seek Chicagoan in 2008 Mumbai terror attacks

India plans to seek access and eventual extradition of a Chicago man arraigned by the FBI for his alleged involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, a top Indian official said Thursday.
David Coleman Headley is accused of conducting surveillance on sites in Mumbai targeted in the November 2008 attacks that killed 166 people and passing on the information to handlers in the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group in Pakistan. On Wednesday in Chicago, Headley pleaded not guilty to charges that he was involved in the attacks.
Indian Home Secretary G. K. Pillai said investigators from the FBI, who were in New Delhi earlier this week, had shared information on Headley. He said India’s National Investigation Agency was expected to complete its investigations into Headley’s links with the terror attacks over the next few weeks, after which New Delhi would seek his extradition.
“We will definitely be seeking access both for interrogation and, at a subsequent stage, for his extradition,” Pillai said.
The two countries have an extradition treaty, signed in 1997.
Indian officials say the attacks on India’s financial hub were plotted by Lashkar-e-Taiba in Pakistan. The only surviving gunman, a Pakistani, is currently on trial in India.
Seven others have been indicted in Pakistan on charges of planning and helping to execute the attacks.

Get stories like this in your inbox
Subscribe