Dalai Lama to teach ‘Heart Sutra’ at IU

Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama will visit Bloomington in May for the second time since he appointed Arjia Rinpoche as director of the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center.

His Holiness, who will give three teachings at the IU Auditorium, has called the cultural center – which was established by his older brother and former IU professor, Thubten J. Norbu – the Kumbum of the West, or the religion’s monastery of the West.

“People might think he only comes here because of his older brother, but even though his older brother has passed away, he’s still coming to visit the center,” Rinpoche said.

There are two main concepts in Buddhism: compassion and wisdom. His Holiness, who has visited Bloomington five times, will speak about “The Heart Sutra,” discussing how to practice wisdom in today’s life.

His Holiness is known for respecting other religions by inviting other leaders to his teaching ceremonies and having interfaith prayers. During his last visit in 2007, he had a peace conference.

“In the West, Buddhism is very new. When he talks, he always says, ‘I’m not converting you; I want you to keep your own religions,’” Rinpoche said. “Some people say ‘I don’t care what his teachings are, I just want to see the Dalai Lama.”

But for the cultural center, the Dalai Lama’s visit is more than just a two-day teaching, it’s an opportunity to bring in people from all around the world to Bloomington and to the center’s 108 acres.

In 2007, the hotels in town were full, Rinpoche said, and the largest percentage of attendees were from out of town, traveling as far as California, Europe, Taiwan, Japan and Mongolia.

“When His Holiness comes to Bloomington you are bringing all people of the United States here,” said Sudhaka Koneru, treasurer and board member for the center.

The Dalai Lama’s visit can largely be attributed to the center and his appointment of Rinpoche as the director of the culture center in 2005 after his brother became too ill to run it. As a child in Tibet, he was taught by the 10th Panchen Lama, one of the highest spiritual leaders in Buddhism.

“His appointment didn’t just start a few years ago, but since his studies as a child,” said Lisa Morrison, media and public relations coordinator for the center. “We are living history right now, and it’s very hard to articulate that.”

Though the two days will bring in a large revenue, the Dalai Lama doesn’t want the center to make money off his teachings, and if they do, he asks that it be given to charity, said Koneru.

However, the center does receive money from donations and fundraising that they use for construction. People will also sponsor events and the center will organize VIP receptions as fundraisers.

Rinpoche and members of the center are still organizing events for the two days His Holiness will be in town. There will be a variety of teachings for specific groups of students from a variety of countries. The groups, which could range in size from four people to more than 100, will have the chance to ask His Holiness questions.

Rinpoche also said there could be high-profile people in attendance. In 2003, Muhammad Ali came to Bloomington to meet the Dalai Lama.

“Once he talks and you listen, your mind is calm and you feel like practicing what he said,” Koneru said. “I’ve attended four of his teachings. Each time I’m a different person.”