Convincing performances save 'Invictus'

Invictus

I enjoyed Clint Eastwood’s Nelson Mandela biopic that is really about rugby, not Mandela, in the same way I might’ve still enjoyed “Slumdog” if it was actually about “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.”

“Invictus” is a highly inspirational story and is easily the most winning of the year. But it’s a sports movie; simple as that. Of all the Nelson Mandela films that could have gotten made, I’m disappointed this is the one that did, and that Eastwood, who can accomplish so much more, was the one to make it.

Bothered by the fact that only Afrikaners support the nearly all white rugby team the Springboks, the newly elected President Mandela reaches out to team captain Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon) with the hopes of inspiring him to win the World Cup. If they become great and become the face of the community in the process, they have the potential to unite the country and eliminate the oppression the springbok symbol and the team's colors represent.

And yes, “Invictus” is victorious in conveying that warm, rousing mood that goes with a massive cultural shift. Amid some loaded, metaphorical dialogue are moments of poetic sincerity and sentimentality. One moment I admired was when the rugby team teaches a group of poor black kids to play the game, and although at first they only like Chester, the only black player on the team, the kids eventually open up to the Springboks.

Call “Million Dollar Baby” cliche or not, “Invictus” has no more than a political overtone to a very sports heavy screenplay. Eastwood’s entire third act is the World Cup match between South Africa and New Zealand, and although I didn’t ask for a training or educational montage, these scenes are provided with very little context. Such moments are mostly responsible for the film running half an hour long.

Unfortunately, the time spent off the field is not all spent with Mandela either. I learned much more about Mandela’s bodyguards than I cared to, and “Invictus” even thought it necessary to include a pompous, South African sports journalist, bracketology and all.

So what saves this film? Much of the anticipation preparing for each match is in good fun, and the performances of Freeman and Damon truly elevate the screenplay.

Freeman’s name has been attached to Mandela’s part for years now, and he is a natural at carrying Mandela’s strong, flowing tone, although his English is weak and his accent is thick. There is much conviction in this performance. Damon’s equally moving dialogue and delivery is rich with meaning without being overbearing.

So the Springboks won the cup, and the country grew a lot closer that day. Had they not won, would there still be a story here? Of course there would; it’s Nelson Mandela.