men's basketball

Then there were three

Seniors

There was only one senior on the men’s basketball team last year.

He averaged 4.3 points, started 23 games and shot 51 percent from the field. He was a veteran forward who had seen the end of Mike Davis, the short span of Kelvin Sampson and the beginning of Tom Crean. He was an unexpected leader.

This year’s team has three seniors.

And, once again, someone unexpected might have to step up.

Tripling the number of seniors doesn’t give IU an advantage against other schools. Out of the six Big Ten schools ranked in the top 25 preseason, four have as many or more seniors than IU.

No. 2 Michigan State has three, No. 7 Purdue has three, No. 16 Ohio State has five and No. 25 Minnesota has three. Of those six top-25 schools, only No. 15 Michigan and No. 23 Illinois have fewer seniors – both with two – than IU. So not only are the Hoosiers competing in the toughest conference, but they will not be as equipped as their opponents.

Guard Devan Dumes, center Tijan Jobe and forward Steven Gambles have not been at IU longer than their teammates. Jobe and Gambles, both second-year players, said that as far as wisdom and experience, the younger players know as much as they do.

“We’re seniors, but at the same time, all of us are new to the situation,” Gambles said.

With six freshmen and junior guard Jeremiah Rivers cleared to play, almost half of the team will walk on the court in Assembly Hall for the first time Friday. Eleven of the 16 players are freshmen or sophomores, which makes IU the youngest team in the Big Ten.

Last year’s leading scorer Dumes said he thinks the age difference can be measured between himself and some of the younger players.

“The focus level is certainly different for those who are older and those a little bit younger,” Dumes said. “The maturity level is a lot different, as well.”

Gambles transferred from Lambuth University last year and played at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis before then. As a junior, he averaged 2.3 minutes in six games. He said he and his team are still learning Crean’s system and how to play in the Big Ten.

Gambles has three years of experience but said he does not feel any more qualified than any other Hoosier.

“We’ve all dealt with it going on two years,” Gambles said, “so I don’t think it’s too much different for me as far as the next person.”

Because no player has more than two years of experience with Crean’s system, Dumes said each player has the opportunity to take charge of the team.

“We don’t have a set few that stand out a lot,” he said. “Everyone has to take part in being a leader.”

Sophomore forward Kory Barnett disagreed and said that Rivers or sophomore guard Verdell Jones will step up for IU.

Whether that leader will be Dumes, Jones or Rivers, IU will need someone to lead the wide-eyed team against its more experienced foes.