Sunday, June 16

Purdue wins bucket game 38-21

IU-Purdue Football

In a rivalry matchup with nothing more than pride on the line, Purdue appeared to want it more.

The Boilermakers earned the Old Oaken Bucket with a 38-21 win against IU on Saturday.

IU junior quarterback Ben Chappell was 23-39 for 266 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions, while freshman running back Darius Willis led the way with 149 yards on the ground.

Purdue was effective in the air with 205 yards and four touchdowns by Boilermaker quarterback Joey Elliot.  Running back Jaycen Taylor added 114 yards.

The Boilermakers were up 28-7 early in the third quarter and did not allow the Hoosiers to get close enough for a comeback.

The telling stat was turnovers, which IU committed four of in the game.

“What was uncharacteristic was what I think was the difference in the game—turnovers and the kicking game,” IU coach Bill Lynch said.  “Purdue, give them credit particularly in the first half, took advantage of the turnovers. When you make those kind of mistakes, its on us.”

The first drive for the Hoosiers did not start as they had hoped.

On the third play of the game, Chappell rolled to his right to pass but was hit hard from behind by Boilermaker defensive tackle Mike Neal.  The ball came out of Chappell’s hands and was recovered by Purdue defensive tackle Kawann Short at the IU 16 yard line.

On Purdue’s fifth play from scrimmage after the turnover, Elliot found Taylor out on the flat and proceeded to run for the touchdown and a 7-0 advantage.

A blocked field goal attempt by IU kicker Nick Freeland with 7:41 remaining in the first quarter gave the ball back to Purdue just minutes later.

Elliot led an efficient drive that culminated in a touchdown pass to running back Dan Dierking and the 14-0 lead.

The Boilermakers got on the board again with just over two minutes left before half.

On the ninth play of the drive, Elliot rolled right and found fullback Jared Crank open in the end zone for the 13-yard score.

But IU responded right before halftime.

After a nice kick return by sophomore wide receiver Tandon Doss, Chappell directed a carefully executed final drive of the quarter.  With 22 seconds remaining, he tucked the ball and ran in from one-yard out to bring the score to 21-7.

IU hoped their score just before halftime would carry the momentum in its favor for the second half.

Purdue running back Al-Terek McBurse had other plans.

McBurse took the opening kickoff of the half 87 yards to the end zone to provide a 28-7 Boilermaker lead.

“That was tough because we came out in the second half with a whole different mindset,” IU senior defensive end Jammie Kirlew said.  “We were ready to go.  It was tough giving up the touchdown so quickly when we were trying to come back.”

Despite the quick score, the Hoosiers would not go away.

With 9:25 left in the third quarter, Chappell found junior wide receiver Mitchell Evans in the middle part of the end zone to bring the score to within 14 points.

IU senior offensive lineman Roger Saffold said execution on the ground was key on that drive.

“We were able to open up some seams by pushing people passed and cutting other people off, which allowed (Willis) to do what he does best,” Saffold said.  “The big thing for Darius is that he knows how to fight for those extra couple of yards.”

Purdue quickly responded with a field goal of their own to make the score 31-14 going into the fourth quarter.

But even with a late touchdown grab by IU sophomore wide receiver Damarlo Belcher, the Hoosiers were unable to overcome their rivals at Memorial Stadium.

“Purdue just being out rival, playing for the Old Oaken Bucket, it was a special moment,” senior linebacker Matt Mayberry said.  “It just didn’t go our way.”