Programs help students visit US

Local school welcomes five participants

Families across the country are opening their doors to high school exchange students interested in spending either a semester or an academic year in America.

Organizations such as the STS Foundation accept applications from students in more than 40 countries around the world and find a compatible family for them to stay with in America.

The STS Foundation sent exchange students to high schools throughout Indiana, including Noblesville, Marion County, Zionsville and West Lafayette.

This year, Bloomington High School South is host to five exchange students through other exchange student programs, such as the Council of International Exchange and Education and the Aspect Foundation, BHSS Assistant Principal Christina Adduci said.

“We accept about 10 to 20 applications for foreign exchange students,” Adduci said. “We accept six, and our spots are already filled by May for the next year.”

Students stay with families in the community who have contacted the exchange programs. BHSS also offers English support classes, but Adduci said a lot of the students don’t take them.

“Students primarily have a junior year curriculum and they’ve all really excelled in them across the board,” Adduci said.

Exchange students are also encouraged to participate in school sports, clubs and other activities that the high school has to offer in order to get the most from their stay in America.

When considering an application, the STS foundation looks at many factors, including the students’ academic achievement and proficiency in the English language, said David Keating, regional coordinator of STS for Illinois, Michigan and Indiana.

“We want to make sure our students are in the highest caliber,” Keating said. “We are very sure our students are the best they can be.”

The application process for students interested in coming to America starts a year before they intend to leave and involves writing an extensive essay and an interview with the parents of the exchange students.

“Some of the students request a region they want to go to, but we cannot guarantee a region,” Keating said. “Being an exchange student is all about being prepared to adjust to any lifestyle.”

Ultimately, Adduci said the exchange process is beneficial for both the exchange student and the students at BHSS.

“It works both ways,” Adduci said. “Our students at South are exposed to students from different cultures, and there are also a lot of opportunities for those students to get involved in our interesting community.”