IU wins regular season opener 83-60

IU-Howard Basketball

There was a different feel from the beginning.

Assembly Hall shone a little brighter, the fans cheered a little louder and the players had a little more energy in their steps in IU’s first regular season game.

Tom Pritchard could barely convert layups in the preseason, but he gave IU its initial score in an 83-60 home win Friday with his signature two-handed dunk. Rivers followed with an easy layup.

Howard had more size than IU’s preseason opponents and hung around until late in the first half. The Hoosiers struggled offensively in the early moments, but broke opened a 38-11 run they rode to a win in the first regular season game.

“There was some deer in the headlights type of action early in the first half,” Crean said, “because it’s not practice, it’s not an exhibition game and all of sudden you’re out there and this is real.”

It didn’t seem like IU would come that realization in the opening moments of Friday’s game.

Pritchard began the game well but was bench-ridden after two early fouls. After an early spurt, there was a lull where IU played zone defense to calm Howard’s speed. But the slower pace also hurt the Hoosiers, who committed eight first-half turnovers and finished the game with 16.

IU began to turn up the pace when it made defensive plays. Howard turned the ball over 19 times and charted only eight field goals in the first half.

“They were tentative, so that changed the tempo quite a bit,” Howard coach Gil Jackson. “You have got to shoot the ball and you have got to make shots.”

The Bison continued to struggle for the game’s entirety. Although IU had a 20-point lead, it also had its share of problems.

Whenever a play seemed to be heading in the right direction for IU, it turned quickly.

Jeremiah Rivers seemed to have a layup or pass-off in a fast-break situation, but that turned into foul shots. Maurice Creek got a steal with quick hands in the passing lane and that abruptly went back to Howard, as he lost the ball and it sailed out of bounds.

Freshman forward Derek Elston was what got IU going, along with a constantly running Rivers. Elston provided a lift for the stagnant IU team with a lay-in from a Rivers pass and a 3-pointer of his own.

Elston finished with 14 points, but Crean said it was his enthusiasm that helped turn the game in IU’s favor.

“Finding high motor guys is something you need to turn this program around,” Crean said. “And Derek has a really high motor.”

IU was led in scoring by freshman guard Maurice Creek with 17 points and freshman forward Christian Watford wasn’t far behind with 14 points of his own. Pritchard also had 10 points.

IU won’t have much time to rest from its Friday contest. The Hoosiers will face USC-Upstate on Monday at 8:30 p.m.