BoD: Best miniseries/TV movies

band

Much like full-length series that we will celebrate later in the week, all of the great miniseries and made-for-television-movies were found on cable networks. But that's to be expected. Perhaps what wasn't was the variety of topics the great minis/TV films tackled this decade. From demoralizing war tales to sci-fi-heavy melodramas, these productions made us realize that the miniseries can be cool.

“Band of Brothers” (HBO, 2001) – This Spielberg/Hanks produced WWII-centric miniseries is probably the most popular mini this side of “Roots,” and for good reason. With a slew of amazing actors and a sweeping, emotionally-charged narrative, “Brothers” is instantly re-watchable – which is something you can rarely say for a mini.

“Generation Kill” (HBO, 2008) – David Simon and Ed Burns, the duo behind “The Wire,” brought us this intense look into the first days of Iraq War II that is much like their series-form epic – angry, commenting on a broken system – and that’s just fine.

“Planet Earth” (BBC, 2006)
– Who thought learning could be so awesome? Breathtaking in every sense of the word (especially in HD), “Planet Earth” should be used in all secondary school education from now on.

“Torchwood: Children of Earth” (BBC, 2009)
– By cutting the third season of the program into a mini, revamped-“Doctor Who” universe mastermind Russell T. Davies made one of the creepiest, yet more moving sci-fi minis ever. Scary kids always get us.

"Battlestar Galactica" (Sci Fi, 2003)
– Remember, the great sci-fi reboot of the campy cult fave started off as a three hour miniseries and those three hours set the stage for the fantastic, layered program to follow.

“Angels in America” (HBO, 2003) – Director Mike Nichols somehow found a way to balance a slew of high-profile actors (Meryl Streep, Al Pacino) and the heavy expectations of adapting Tony Kusher’s award-winning play into seven hours. It probably featured Pacino’s last good performance.

"The 4400" (USA, 2004) ­– Another complicated, sci-fi drama that started as a mini and continued as a series. "4400" had an impressively original premise, strong performances and a generally eerie atmosphere that carried over to the successful series.

"John Adams" (HBO, 2008) ­– This eight-hour excursion into the life of one of America's most important men is at times difficult to watch, but powerful performances from Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney make all that struggling worthwhile.

"The Company" (TNT, 2007) – Though it should get bonus points for bringing a former Batman (Michael Keaton) and Robin (Chris O'Donnell) together, TNT's look into the CIA-KGB face-off during the Cold War is a cool, solid thriller that never really drags.

"Recount" (HBO, 2008) – It kind of sucks that best (only?) film made about the fall-out of the 2000 election didn't get a wide release, because "Recount" was one of the best films of 2008, period. It almost didn't happen due to Sydney Pollack's untimely death, but Jay Roach ("Meet the Parents") stepped in to do a admirable job. ­

"Taken" (Sci Fi, 2002) ­– Another sterling Spielberg product, "Taken" chronicled the abduction phenomenon over nearly 900 minutes, swooping through history from 1944 to 2001 in pretty epic fashion. By weaving true events with personal reactions, the tales we've only heard conspiracy theories about worked better with a face on them. 

"The Corner" (HBO, 2000) – Before "The Wire" David Simon told his Baltimore, MD horror stories through a six-ep mini. Somehow "The Corner" is bleaker and grittier than its series cousin, but still features the strong writing we expect from Simon.