WEEKEND interviews Cryptacize

Cryptacize

YC: Have you ever performed in Bloomington, IN before? If so, how was it? What were your expectations for playing  here at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater?

NT: This was Cryptacize's first time in Bloomington. I haven't performed in Bloomington since 2007 when I was in Chris's (Cryptacize guitarist) previous band, the Curtains. And before that I played solo opening for Jens Lekman. That was a trillion years ago, in 2005.

I didn't have any expectations about the Buskirk-Chumley. When I walked in I was actually a little surprised. It looks like a cross between a convention center and a theater! I think it's the cushy pink seats.

YC: Since your tour with Sufjan Stevens began on Sept. 24, how has performing with him been?

NT: It's been fun- It's always rad to sing with good singers.

YC: Having already toured with notable indie bands, such as Why? and Danielson, how has this tour been different?

NT: We're on Sufjan's tour bus! It's the total 'pimp my ride' version of a Cryptacize tour. We usually tour in a Toyota Corolla or Chris's mom's SUV. So that's been a very unusual treat for us. It's also much easier. You just wake up and you're in front of the venue!

YC: Is there any particular venue that you're excited to play at? Why?

NT: There aren't any venues I'm excited about, but I look forward to going to certain cities because I have an idea of what the people will be like, and the food and sights. Like Montreal or New York, for example. And Bloomington! We had good pizza at Rocket's after the show.

YC: Are you excited about touring with the Fiery Furnaces right after this tour?

NT: YES! I love them, I'm stoked to see them play every night.

YC: With all of these busy tours, does the band have enough free time to brainstorm and create new music?

NT: I think we're going chill out for a while after the Fiery Furnaces tour. Chris and I are anxious to write new songs and I want to record on my four track again. That's my goal for 2010.

YC: Do you have any plans for new releases coming out anytime soon?

NT: Nope! Hopefully we'll write a new record next year.

YC: Why did the band decide to a add bassist, Aaron Olson?

NT: Chris recorded bass on our last record "Mythomania," and then live the songs felt too minimal. So we added Aaron and voila. People tell us "Wow you're a real band now!"

YC: And finally, how do you think your performance went at the Buskirk? Regrets or highlights?

NT: Of course there are always things you want to improve after every show, but listing them would bore you to tears. It was a total pleasure, and the people in Bloomington were super sweet, so thanks for having us!