Panel: People must control race debate

A panel about “Race in the Age of Obama” said people, not pundits, have to take back control of the conversation on race.

About 100 people gathered in the Whittenberger Auditorium on Wednesday to discuss race and its role in the country.

The event began with Shameka Neely, WTIU senior reporter and producer, showing the “Witnesses to History” documentary. The film consisted of reflections from a wide variety of scholars and students on the significance of the 2008 presidential election.

After the documentary, the discussion of race began.

“Racism did not end November 5th,” said Beverly Calendar-Anderson, director of the Bloomington Safe and Civil City Program. “Barack Obama’s election has created a landscape where we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.”

She also said that by watching media sources such as FOX News, Americans are buying into the idea of racism. The panelists agreed that race remains a problem for people worldwide.

“Barack Obama’s election marks the beginning of a conversation of race,” said John Nieto-Phillips, associate professor of history and Latino studies. “It brings the promise of inclusion in the conversations about race.”

He said that Latinos have finally been injected into the race conversation and that only through discussion can we make positive steps towards better race relations.

“The stakes for marking and defining race are higher now,” said Khalil Muhammad, assistant professor of history. He said that we need to discuss how race matters rather than if race is an issue.

The event, which was organized by WTIU, featured a panel including Muhammad,
Nieto-Phillips, Calendar-Anderson, Bill Shipton, director for student programs and services, and Rashawn Ray, Ph.D. candidate in sociology.

Over the course of the discussion, panelists talked about race’s role in our country’s past, present and future. Though they said unanimously that race still plays a role in everyday life, they were optimistic about the future.

“There is a difference between race and racism,” Calendar-Anderson said. She said that her race is a part of who she is but should not hold her back from opportunities and fair treatment.

“I think what is important is what happens from here on out,” said Shipton. He said that he hopes people will not fall asleep and become immune to race and that it is important that all groups continue to discuss it.

The event ended with Eric Love, director of the Office of Diversity Education, making closing statements and leading the group in a diversity pledge. Audience members pledged to address racism and speak out against injustice to make the community a better place.  

Love said that we must remain engaged in the political process.

“Don’t let pundits set the tone of our discussions,” he said.