Octubafest highlights tubas in past, present

The Jacobs School of Music’s annual Octubafest opened Tuesday at Recital Hall. 
Tuba professor Daniel Peratoni’s students performed various tuba pieces, including a duet between graduate students Paul Carlson and Peder MacLellan.

“It’s a good tool to get students in shape,” Peratoni said.

Octubafest came to life years ago with former Jacobs professor Harvey Phillips, who is well-regarded for having changed the tuba’s image from a slower, deeper instrument to a tool that can keep its own outside of an orchestra or band.

“The tradition started with Harvey Phillips,” Peratoni said. “He organized it and had the concept.”

Few classical arrangements with emphasis on the tuba exist, which is what led Phillips to start the tradition years ago. He got together with various composers and showed them how the tuba worked, influencing them to create new pieces.

“There are new pieces every year,” Carlson said. “There are new arrangements by young and old composers.”

For example, a newer piece by American composer Robert Sibbing, called “Sonata” was performed by Dan Herrick on tuba and Eric Anderson on piano. “Sonata” was a three-part arrangement that seemed reminiscent of a new age theater production.

MacLellan said that a fellow Jacobs student had composed a piece for Octubafest years ago, but nothing since then has emerged.

“There hasn’t been anything written by students for students for awhile,” MacLellan said.

As a duet, MacLellan and Carlson played a different three-part piece composed by Czech-German composer, Karl Stamitz. The piece captured a variety of emotions ranging from lightheartedness to melancholy.

All of Peratoni’s students have been rehearsing diligently for the annual tradition. Carlson said that some students had even started practicing solos during the summer.

“We’ve been working since the beginning of the semester,” he said. “We really are working hard.”

Peratoni said he fell in love with the tuba years ago when he studied for the piano.

“I’ve been playing for 50 years,” Peratoni said. “I’ve dedicated my life to it.”

His dedication has shown with his students, who greeted him fondly after the concert.
A mutual respect filled the air as MacLellan and Carlson conversed with Peratoni while the crowd filed out of the hall. Peratoni’s smile spread across his face as he spoke highly of his students.

“I’m very proud of them,” he said.