IU eliminated from singles play at All American Qualifier

The IU men’s tennis team was eliminated from singles play after a less-than-satisfying performance at the All American Qualifier on Monday.

Junior Lachlan Ferguson and sophomore Jeremy Langer were both ousted in the first round of competition at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Tulsa.

Ferguson, who played No. 1 singles for the Hoosiers a year ago, dominated the first set (6-2) against New Mexico State’s Gustave Diep, but he would drop the final two sets to his unranked opponent in a match that lasted nearly three hours.

Ferguson went through an off-season operation on his stomach and groin and he said it will take him a while to play he the way he did last spring.

“I had some opportunities to win and I just couldn’t finish but there were some positives to take out of it,” Ferguson said. “Obviously, I haven’t been back all that long, and it’s not just as easy as flipping the switch and you’re back to where you were. As long as I keep chipping away and get some more matches under my belt, I think I’ll be fine.”

Langer was playing in the All American event for the first time and he dropped his match in straight sets to Louis Cant of Mississippi State. After hanging in for most of the first set, Langer couldn’t find a close out as he fell 5-7. Cant took the final set 6-2 to advance to the second round.

“We’re going through some things but sometimes you have to have breakdowns before you have breakthroughs,” said IU coach Randy Bloemendaal. “It’s hard but it’s part of the process and you just have to keep doing the right things. The guys are doing that. They are fighting hard on the court, their attitudes are good, they just have to do a few other things.”

Langer and Ferguson along with sophomore Maxime Armengaud and freshman Alex van Gils will compete in doubles competition tomorrow.