sports volleyball

IU begins list of Friday events against Iowa

Volleyball vs. Minnesota

Thousands of Hoosier fans fill the seats of Assembly Hall one night in October each year, ecstatic to see basketball – even if it’s only a practice.

Since 2007, the basketball-crazed IU fans have enjoyed another twist to Hoosier Hysteria – an actual volleyball match.

The IU volleyball team continues the three-year-old tradition of opening the annual event when it plays its only scheduled match at 5:30 p.m. in Assembly Hall on Friday against Iowa.

IU volleyball coach Sherry Dunbar, whose first year was also 2007, said the team’s involvement in Hoosier Hysteria goes a long way to earn recognition for IU volleyball. 

“What the basketball teams have done here and the tradition of excellence and national championships, it’s a fantastic opportunity for us to showcase volleyball in the Big Ten,” Dunbar said. “And to showcase it to fans that might not have seen this level of volleyball, and hopefully, to get those fans to come over here and watch us at U. Gym.”

Dunbar said the experience of playing in Assembly Hall in front of a capacity crowd is thrilling and an advantage in terms of the match.

“To have 9,000 or 10,000 fans that are Indiana fans cheering for you – huge advantage,” she said.

The players enjoy participating in Hoosier Hysteria as well.

Senior outside hitter Kelsey Hall, who has been with the team since it began playing at the event, said the feeling it brings never gets old.

“I think it gets bigger and better every year,” Hall said. “Most people never even get to say that they get to step in Assembly Hall. It’s such a historic place, and it’s really something special that you get to go in there and play in front of so many people, and so many people that love sports here.”

Hall began her collegiate career at UCLA, another university rich in basketball tradition. However, she said the volleyball program there was not involved in a similar way and that the sports festivities IU conducts are unique.

“I think it’s something special and something new,” Hall said. “I think a lot of other schools want to follow what we’re doing, and what I think is cool is that they play the women’s basketball after us, and the men’s, so it’s just like a whole day of sports, which is so cool.”

Junior middle blocker Taylor Wittmer, who has also participated in each of the volleyball matches in Hoosier Hysteria, agreed.

“For the volleyball program to get that opportunity is huge,” Wittmer said. “I think to have all those fans to watch us who normally wouldn’t come out to our games is great because I think if we show that fight and that heart, they’re going to want to come back and watch us every time.”

Wittmer, a Loogootee, Ind., native, said Hoosier Hysteria also has carried a greater significance for her.

“I used to come when I was in high school,” she said. “I remember sitting up in the stands and thinking, ‘Wow, this is such a cool place.’ And being from Indiana, I’ll always be a Hoosier, so it means a lot.”

The tradition has also become a staple for graduate student and right-side hitter Whitney Thomas, albeit in a different fashion.

Thomas participated as a four-year member of the IU women’s basketball team.

Now playing volleyball, she said she expects an entirely different feeling this year.

“I’m used to getting ready to go out and do some drills and stuff at night for Hoosier Hysteria and getting ready for the season,” Thomas said. “But, now, we have a tough game coming up in front of us, and we’re going to be really focused on that.”

Thomas said she is also looking forward to seeing how her old team looks after the volleyball match.

“I’ve been anxious to see how they’re going to be and see what they’re going to do this year,” she said.

In addition to the players who have been involved in Hoosier Hysteria, the team’s seven freshmen will experience it for the first time Friday.

One of them, defensive specialist Laura Matula, said she is “so pumped” to play in front of such a large crowd.

“It makes the game, it really does,”  Matula said. “It just pumps you up even more and makes the win even sweeter. It’s a good way to pull fans in.
“This is as real as it gets.”