Inside the Hall’s Alex Bozich comments on Knight issue

Alex Bozich has been covering the IU men’s basketball team as the editor and co-founder of insidethehall.com since 2007. He’s reported on the tail end of the Kelvin Sampson era and the beginning of the Tom Crean era. He shared his thoughts with the Indiana Daily Student on former IU coach Bob Knight’s decision not to attend the Hall of Fame induction next week.

IDS: What is your reaction to Dick Vitale’s Twitter post saying Bob Knight will not return next week?

AB: I wasn’t really surprised. It just seemed like from the get-go it was a long shot that he’d come back. It’s been almost 10 years now, and he hasn’t decided to come back before even though there have been a lot of changes in the administration. I think it was a good move by the University to try to make one final push to get him to come back, but it always seemed like a long shot, so I wasn’t really surprised that he decided he wasn’t going to do it.

IDS: What do you think it means that he never responded one way or the other despite Fred Glass’ repeated attempts to reach out?

AB: I just think it means he thought he was treated unfairly when they decided to fire him and he’s never gotten over it. No matter what they’ve done these past couple months, nothing really mattered to him. It was always going to be his decision on his terms, and if there was something that he was unhappy with, he wasn’t going to do it. I think the fact that the information about the $75,000 check getting into the public gave him a clear cut reason that he could use.