Ind. House of Rep., Senate seek interns for upcoming session

Students can find applications on caucus sites

The Indiana House of Representatives and Senate will hire several interns to work full-time during the 2010 session of the General Assembly.

Candidates can choose to apply for different internships in member services, technology, communications or fiscal policy.

Last year the house hired 26 interns, mostly in the member services area, said Michael Smith, legislative assistant and house democratic intern director.

He said member services interns assist in communication with constituents, organizing legislators’ schedules and writing constituent letters, position papers and bill summaries.

During session, the workload of a full-time legislative assistant triples, and the interns are charged with making sure constituent’s complaints, questions and concerns are answered, Smith said.

While both caucuses of the House and Senate are seeking interns, applicants who apply to both will be disqualified from consideration, according to a press release.

Smith said that even though the bulk of applicants tend to be political science majors, the House hires interns from a variety of educational backgrounds.

His last assistant was a psychology major, and one previous intern had a master’s degree in opera singing.

Smith said interning at the House is a great opportunity for students because of the extensive networking opportunities in working for state government.

He said that during session, business leaders, interest groups and people from every aspect of government flock to the Statehouse.

“It’s a really great stepping stone because you meet a lot of people and it looks good on resumes,” Smith said. “That hallway is jam-packed full of contacts and potential resources.”

Senior Sami Silverstein was a communications intern for the Senate Democrats last spring.

She said working in state government was a great experience, and she would encourage students to apply, even if they don’t plan to pursue a career in politics.

“Working in the Statehouse is such an eye-opening experience because there are so many things that go on behind the scenes that you never hear about,” Silverstein said.

“Seeing the process go on every day — until you see it, you won’t understand it,” she said. “You learn so much about the world in general.”