sports field hockey

Hoosiers upset another ranked opponent, No. 16 Northwestern

For the third time this season, the Hoosiers came out on top against ranked competition – this time on their home turf.

On Saturday, IU surprised No. 16 Northwestern 2-1 in Bloomington. This win was the third upset on the season and their first since beating then-No. 13 Louisville in Louisville, Ky.

“I think that we worked really hard from our practice and it really showed in the game,” freshman forward Morgan Fleetwood said.

The Hoosiers (9-5, 2-2) had some close opportunities in the first 20 minutes but couldn’t put anything in the goal until the 28th minute.

Fleetwood scored her eighth goal of the season off an assist from senior midfielder Meg O’Connell.

The Wildcats responded with a goal from junior back Zoe Almquist on a rebound penalty corner shot just three minutes later.

At halftime, the Hoosiers and Wildcats were tied 1-1.

“Our forwards did a really good job reading off each other and making good decisions on our attacking side,” IU coach Amy Robertson said.

IU scored its game-winning goal in the 51st minute, as senior forward Haley Funk netted the ball off of a rebound from junior forward Katie Griswold’s shot.

“We worked on pressing all week, and it paid off today because we worked together as a unit,” Funk said.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Mann and the Hoosier defense held off a tough offensive pursuit from the Wildcats in the last 18 minutes.

Mann had four saves on the day that came mostly in the second half.

“Northwestern has scored the most goals in the Big Ten,” Robertson said. “To limit them to one goal and seven shots shows a lot about our defense.”

IU kept the Wildcats’ star sophomore midfielder Chelsea Armstrong scoreless, despite her status as the conference leader in shots, points, goals and assists.

“Our defense changed the whole aspect of the game for us,” Fleetwood said.
The Hoosiers had eight shots compared to the Wildcats’ seven. 

Next weekend, IU stays in Bloomington for its last two home games of the season against Penn State at 3 p.m. Friday and Pacific at 12 p.m. Sunday.

“Hopefully, we will just keep building from this victory,” Funk said.