sports volleyball

Group heads to Illinois for 2-game stint

Volleyball vs. Minnesota

The IU volleyball team heads on its next road trip with votes for the American Volleyball Coaches Association top-25 poll for the first time in Sherry Dunbar’s tenure as head coach.

The Hoosiers (13-5, 2-2) hope to crack the top-25 as they travel for a pair of road matches against No. 12 Illinois (10-3, 2-2) at 8 p.m. Saturday and Northwestern (9-7, 0-4) at 6 p.m. Sunday.

“We’ve been working really hard and we deserve to be in the top-25,” sophomore setter Mary Chaudoin said. “I think we’ve made an impact in the rankings with beating ranked teams, and I think we’re going to continue to do so.”

Dunbar agreed, saying that receiving that honor in such a competitive conference is a huge step for the program.

“It’s all about recognition,” Dunbar said. “That’s the first time we’ve received votes certainly since I’ve been here.”

A jump into the top-25 could happen with a victory over the Fighting Illini. However, the Hoosiers know that feat won’t be easy in Illinois’ home atmosphere.

“Illinois has a great crowd, a great home-court advantage,” Dunbar said.

IU has already won a match in a hostile environment at Purdue Sept. 30, something Chaudoin said has the team ready for the Illini crowd.

“Their fans are pretty smart-aleck,” Chaudoin said, “but I think we’ve played in the toughest environment so far with Purdue, so I think we’ve seen the worst.”

After their match at Illinois, the Hoosiers travel to Evanston, Ill., for a Sunday evening contest at Northwestern.
Freshman outside hitter Jordan Haverly, who earned her second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor Monday for her efforts against Purdue and No. 5 Minnesota, said IU can’t expect to cruise against the Wildcats.

“They’ve been getting a lot better and have been trying to improve their program,” Haverly said. “It should be a good match for us.”

Haverly, an Illinois native, said she is looking forward to playing two matches in her home state and hopes both result in wins.  

“I’m really excited to be able to go back and play in Illinois and just have people from home be able to come see me,” Haverly said, “but I’m just excited to play and just win, hopefully.”