Granger, Pacers defeat Spurs 114-112

Spurs Pacers Basketball

Midway through the fourth quarter came the time to listen to the frantically paced “Our Indiana.”

Cheerleaders came out with the usual banners spelling out “Indiana.” But instead of the customary “Hoosiers” accompanying it, there were blue and gold letters laced with the word “Pacers.”

The Indiana Pacers came to Bloomington as a way to gain an IU student fan base, and performed in Assembly Hall for the first time since 1972. They won 114-112 against the San Antonio Spurs in the two teams’ last game before the regular season.

IU athletes, coaches and fans looked on during the game, screaming school chants and “L-a-r-r-y B-i-r-d” throughout.

A former coach at Dayton, Jim O’Brien said he enjoyed playing within a college atmosphere.

“It’s a great history to this arena,” O’Brien said. “I really appreciate the student body coming out and making it really exciting with the band. We were very pleased to have the opportunity to play down here in Bloomington.”

Like O’Brien, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said he appreciated the chance to veer off the NBA’s regular arena scene.

“In preseason, we always enjoy playing in a college atmosphere,” Popovich said. “We doubly enjoy if we win, but we didn’t do that tonight.”

While the atmosphere was different for each team, the style of play was certainly a switch for the 8, 025 fans who came to see the game.

A third set of lines were added to the court, designating the NBA regulation 3-point shot and lane width in blue tape. The players, most standing near 6-foot-5 or taller, also played higher above the rim as they glided in for layups and shuddering dunks.

Attendees made sounds of awe. They watched a game that didn’t mirror the usual one seen within Assembly Hall very much.

Both teams got off to a slow start while playing on the visibly smaller Branch McCracken Court. Each hoisted quick shots in a style that seemed to consistently be in transition.

The Spurs had an early lead with its “Big Three” of power forward Tim Duncan and guards Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker all in attendance.

The Pacers’ lineup was much shorter. Only seven players were available in the second half, last year’s college basketball Player of the Year Tyler Hansborough, forward Mike Dunleavy and guard T.J. Ford all wore suit jackets as they were confined to the bench.

“We didn’t have any choice but to play the guys we played because they were the only guys we had,” O’Brien said. “With I prefer to play Danny Granger 40 minutes – no. But we had no choice.”

The Pacers performed well with what they had.

Six of the nine who touched the floor for them scored in double figures. Forward Danny Granger led that group with 29 points and 17 rebounds.

Center Roy Hibbert shone brightest of the bunch. He challenged Duncan on the post with an array of hook shots and two-handed dunks on his way to 16 points.

He said the chance to play against Duncan was one he relished.

“Ever since I was a kid, I remember watching him,” he said. “I love his post game, and he’s the “Big Fundamental.” I really appreciated the fact that I was able to go against somebody who’s a seasoned veteran.”

Hibbert and his team played in a close fourth quarter that came down to only 2 points. They led 114-112 when guard Dahntay Jones got a kicked ball violation called against him on the in-bound. The play gave possession to the Spurs with 8 seconds left.

Spurs guard Keith Bogans had one last shot on an off-balanced 3-pointer that air balled.

When it was all over, the ball was in Granger’s hands.

He grabbed the ball and threw it down court as the games’ final buzzer sounded. It landed in the stands and into the hands of a member of “Big Red Band,” and the fans cheered one more time.