Effron, Symphony Orchestra bring life to music

Night at the MAC

The musicians and conductor all appeared to sway with the rhythm, as though the music itself was a strong wind blowing through the stage. The audience gave thunderous applause to the orchestra and its conductor after the piece concluded.

On Wednesday, Jacobs School of Music faculty member David Effron conducted the IU Symphony Orchestra at the Musical Arts Center.

The audience gasped in amazement and admiration after the conclusion of each classical piece that was performed.

“Effron draws out the musicianship,” graduate student Lindsay Flowers said. “People work really hard for him, and it pays off.”

Flowers also works at the MAC as an usher for performances through the Jacobs School of Music. She said she enjoyed watching and listening to the Symphony Orchestra.

“They have a lot of energy,” Flowers said.

While the audience consisted of an older crowd, students as well as families also came to the concert. Audience member Lessie Frasier brought her three children to shows at the MAC this week.

“They’re on fall break this week,” Frasier said. “They really like it.”

Jasmine Lennon, one of Frasier’s children, was eager about the performance and the musicians.

“I like the sound of the violins,” she said.

Her younger sister, Maya Lennon, said she liked all parts of the show, but especially when the audience applauded.

“I like it when people clap,” Maya Lennon said.

The orchestra performed three different classical pieces, including Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

“It’s exciting when you see fellow students perform,” Flowers said.

She contrasted the recorded version of the piece, which was featured in the 1940 Disney film “Fantasia,”  to the live performance. Flowers said the energy is different in the live performance.

“It ingrains it in your head,” Flowers said. “It brings it alive.”