Don't blame Favre, blame his love for the game

Whoever said too much of anything can be bad obviously never foresaw the Brett Favre saga coming.

The unpredictable situation has taken over the NFL for the last year and a half.

Favre, who has retired and un-retired twice since the end of the 2007 season, is now playing for his second team in two seasons after spending 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers. Favre led the Packers to the Super Bowl in 1997 and 1998, with his sole Super Bowl win in 1997.

Favre showed interest in returning to Green Bay in 2008 after his announced retirement. But general manager Ted Thompson and Packers coach Mike McCarthy believed staying with the game plan and moving on with Aaron Rodgers was best.

What kept the graying 18-year veteran in the league even though he would not have the opportunity to end his career as a cheese-head?

Love of the game and competitiveness are what drive Favre, as shown by the quarterback’s signature, arms-raised pose after throwing a touchdown and feet-happy antics after a big play.

Sometimes in life you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. For Favre, who amazingly still has arm strength and consistency to compete at the highest level, playing golf in the fall and watching the game on television wasn’t going to be good enough.

For those claiming Favre owed it to the fans of Green Bay and the Packers organization to end his career within the walls of Lambeau Field, think of what it would be like living without your most-prized hobby.

To this day, I’m not sure I have ever seen the genuine excitement from a football player matching Favre’s two weeks ago after throwing the game-winning touchdown of a 27-24 win against the San Francisco 49ers with two seconds remaining.

So far, the Favre signing has worked out well for the 5-0 and first place Minnesota Vikings, who signed their former rival after the beginning of training camp.

The juggernaut rushing attack led by Adrian Peterson is complemented by Favre’s ageless poise and precision in the pocket.

Since his move to an NFC-North foe, it might seem that revenge is keeping Favre around.

If vengeance were the thing Favre stayed in the league for, what motive would the quarterback have to sign with the mediocre AFC New York Jets last season?

Unfortunately, in today’s world, claims that selfishness and the need for attention are side effects of Favre continuing to live his dream.

That doesn’t matter to Favre, who will stop at nothing to continue playing football. Favre knows he’s still got it.

For Favre, sporting a Nike golf hat has been put on hold for something greater, something that cannot be classified by age or outside talk: love of the game.