world

Chile beats Ecuador 4-2 for World Cup

SANTIAGO, Chile - Last Saturday, Chile triumphed in a victory against Colombia that is now bringing them to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.  

This will be the eighth time that the team has been to the World Cup, and after not going for the past 12 years, Chileans went nuts with excitement Saturday.  

The Atanasio Girardot Stadium, filled to the brim with people, burst with the sound of screaming fans before, during and especially after the soccer game.

It started at 6 p.m., and car horns were honked with every good play by Chile.

After the team’s victory, shouting resonated in the streets for hours after the game.
Families as well as the drunken masses in Plaza Italia swayed to their own singing, jumping up and down and shooting confetti in the air, most staying to meet and greet the players that were coming through the stadium at 6 a.m. the next morning.  

Nerves had been high at the beginning of the game for both teams.

Arturo Vidal scored the first goal after a Colombia defence error. Colombia reared back with a well-aimed shot to tie the game.

But Chile didn’t lose hope. Before half time, Waldo Ponce of Chile headed the ball into the back of the net from a pass from his teammate, Jorge Valdivia.

After half time Chileans became nervous when Colombia came back with another goal to tie the game at 2, but the red uniforms came back with a fire, scoring two more goals to win the qualification game.

Chile played its final game against Ecuador on Wednesday, even though Chile has already qualified for the World Cup.

Futbol, or soccer, is no small thing in Chile, or in most of South America. Everyone watches the game.

People make bets about who will end up winning, and many people grill out, or go bars or gather with friends or family to watch the game on TV.

Energy is certainly at a high right now because of the success Chile has had this season.