Bluebird to try world’s largest Halloween party

Club needs 363 people to break record

Wesley Barnes, an IU alumnus, knew he wanted to leave his name in history by having it in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Barnes began his search to set a world record when he entered a Barnes & Noble in August and sat and leafed through the large record book.

Originally, Barnes didn’t know what kind of record he would set until he came across the largest Halloween party with a record of 362 participants, and he realized it was possible for him to achieve a record while living in Bloomington.

That is why he created the race to set the world record for the “Largest Halloween Gathering,” which will begin this Saturday at the Bluebird.

“I want to make a place in history,” Barnes said. “It’s either now or never.”

Barnes first gathered a team of friends to start a Facebook event, and through word of mouth he began to realize that this world record was attainable.

On Saturday night, the Bluebird will have a $1,000 cash prize contest for the best costume.

First place will receive a year-long pass to the Bluebird and a $300 to $400 cash prize.

The second-place winner will receive a six-month pass and a $200 prize, and third place will receive a three-month pass to the venue.

The passes include general admission shows, which are 95 percent of the events at the Bluebird, owner Dave Kubiak said.

Bluebird bartender Leo Cook will be onstage to host Saturday’s costume contest.

A performance by the Chicago-based ’80s metal band Hairbanger’s Ball will be in attendance and will cover several bands, including Bon Jovi and Def Leppard.

In between the costumes and mayhem of the night, Barnes is urging people to participate in setting a world record by signing a logbook.

The record-breaking start time begins at midnight but will end at 12:10 a.m. Sunday.
The details of achieving a Guinness World Record are precise.

The “Record Breaker Pack” is a set of guidelines sent to the record breaker.
The instructions are narrowed to specifications of the type of photographs that should be taken.

It says that you must present a photograph from the event at an angle that captures its large scale.

“I’m nervous, but prepared,” Barnes said.