Saturday, June 15

When debauchery and douchebag-ery collide

"I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell"

From drunken brawls to midget strippers, “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” is the perfect blend of debauchery and douchebag-ery.

The film version of Tucker Max’s bestselling book depicts an unlikely trio – womanizing Tucker (Matt Czuchry), caustically witty Drew (Jesse Bradford) and good-guy Dan (Geoff Stults) – as they journey through law school, bachelor parties, faraway strip-clubs, fancy hotels and multiple sex partners.

Though the plot is loosely based around Dan’s wedding – which will be a highly Christian ceremony thanks to his bride’s extremely religious mother — every group valuing morality will probably denounce this film. However, the dialogue is so hilariously well executed that even the most politically correct viewers won’t be able to suppress a giggle.

Tucker’s character, a boyish charmer who carries the writer’s legendary arrogance and narcissism well, is kept constantly in check by Drew, who is responsible for most of the movie’s shockingly inappropriate one-liners. During one particularly comical bar scene, Tucker tries to persuade a waitress that he has children and loves them.

“Yeah, he does,” Drew cuts in. “They’re all in the compost heap behind Planned Parenthood.”

And that’s what makes the film – obscene verbal exchanges between three obscene men. This movie is not for those seeking profound, artistic brilliance. Though slightly unrealistic, locker room lingo on the big-screen takes gross humor to the next level, inducing serious laughter when one isn’t offended. Luckily, Tucker’s descriptive post-sex storytelling, hooker jokes and jarring insults distract viewers from noticing the lack of strong plot. Similar to his collection of autobiographical short stories, the film is one drunken folly after another after another.

Beneath the lewd banter and frequent appearances of naked women, “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” has enough rare glimpses of goodness to save the film from being a complete moral abomination.

The protagonists eventually realize when they fuck up, two strong female characters provide the voices of reason, someone actually deviates from one-night stands in favor of monogamous love, and Tucker, the king of douchebags himself, reaches some form of a conscientious epiphany – though it awkwardly contradicts his carefree, careless attitude. Even still, Satan probably has a cooler of Coors Light ready for the rascal.