Playboy names Nick’s as top 10 college sports bar

top 10

Nick’s English Hut is in the national spotlight this month after Playboy ranked it one of America’s Top 10 College Sports Bars.

The honor came to Nick’s as part of Playboy’s A-List series, a section of its Web site that ranks different bars, restaurants and clubs.

Pete Mikolaitis, Nick’s manager, said he didn’t know the bar was on Playboy’s list.
“It is nice to be recognized for what we do,” Mikolaitis said. “I guess you could say it’s free publicity, too. No one contacted me about it.” 

Mikolaitis was not surprised, however. He said Nick’s has always had a great atmosphere for watching Hoosier sports and is a popular hangout for many in Bloomington.

“We have over 30 flat screens. Our customers come in and enjoy the atmosphere we offer,” Mikolaitis said. “We’re really excited to see that we made the top 10 sports bars in America.”

Victor Renfro, a retired Army colonel of Alexandria, Ind., and frequent visitor to Bloomington, said he was always fond of Bloomington, especially Nick’s.

“My son went to IU, and I came down to Nick’s many times,” Renfro said. “I think it’s a tradition down there. It’s been there for as long as I can remember. A top-10 sports bar ranking in America is expected.”

Playboy.com contributor Jeff Ruby wrote the online article. Ruby was unavailable for comment, but Playboy publicist Abi O’Donnell said the research was done throughout the country.

“The bars were chosen on what the writer heard on campus, from alumni and bar frequenters,” O’Donnell said.

O’Donnell said other criteria included atmosphere, the people who go to the bars and the sports knowledge random people in the bars contained.

“This place has been great ever since Nick Hrisomaios started it,” Mikolaitis said. “It was started as sandwich shop in 1927, then around 1934 Richard Barnes turned it to a bar that served pizza.” 

Mikolaitis and Nick’s staff are proud of their honor in Playboy’s A-List, and they invite everyone to come enjoy their NFL Sunday Ticket programming.

“A lot of people come to support IU, but Colts and Bears games are big too,” Mikolaitis said. “Anyone can come check out the atmosphere, watch your team and enjoy the food and pitcher specials on Sundays.”