Legend leads ensemble

Jazz solos and applause filled the Musical Arts Center on Monday night.

The Jacobs School of Music Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jacobs faculty member David Baker, performed for the first time this year. Several audience members said they attended the show because of the legendary director.

“David Baker is such a legend,” sophomore Amelia Smith said. “He’s the most remarkable person.”

Baker, an IU alumnus, has been nationally and internationally recognized as a jazz master. He is also currently the conductor and artistic director of the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra.

“He’s just amazing,” sophomore Liz Gorman said.

Many students who attended the concert, which is part of the “Live and Free at the MAC” series for the 2009-10 season, were Jacobs students or former and current jazz history students.

Sophomore Vineecia Buchanan, member of Singing Hoosiers, said she attended because one of the percussionists had worked with the singing group.

“Our director told us to go,” Buchanan said. Adding that she enjoyed the concert very much.

Between pieces, Baker introduced the different songs and gave brief background information. Much of the audience also kept time with the pieces, tapping their feet with the rhythm.

“It makes me want to dance,” Buchanan said.

Smith said she was very relaxed from listening to the concert.

“It’s a really chill time,” she said.

Buchanan said she liked attending the concerts to avoid homework while enjoying great music performances.

“It’s a good procrastinator,” Buchanan said. “But really, the music – that’s why I’m here.”

The Jazz Ensemble performed nine different jazz pieces, including one composed by David Baker. The second half of the concert featured pieces by Thelonious Monk.

Gorman said she recognized some of the students in the ensemble and was impressed with what she heard.

“The people in lower ensembles are younger, but there’s lots of talent,” she said.
While not everyone in attendance said they knew about jazz, many students said they were able to appreciate the art and form of the music.

“It’s just so creative,” Gorman said.  “There’s so much raw emotion and a lot of personality.”

Students such as Buchanan said they were moved by how personal the ensemble members made their instruments sound.

“It’s like they really are talking through the instruments,” she said.