Kelley graduates hit highs, lows post-graduation

Meet Bruce Hampton.

Hampton wakes up and leaves his downtown Chicago apartment to be in his office at JPMorgan Chase by 8 a.m.

Mid-morning he meets with a senior banker to discuss data sheets and reports from the previous day’s projects.

At noon, he rushes down the street to grab lunch and returns to his office to make corrections and adjustments to a pitch book for a client.

Hampton spends the rest of his time conducting financial research before eating dinner with his colleagues at 6 p.m. After saying goodbye to the senior bankers, Hampton begins to prepare for tomorrow’s meeting.

He goes back to the grind the following day.

One may think this is the typical life of all 2009 Kelley School of Business graduates, but it’s not.  

“Some people I know are having a really tough time finding a job or are on deferment for various companies,” Hampton said,

As a banking investment analyst, Hampton builds and uses financial models, conducts industry and product research and executes client transactions from start to close, among other things. Hampton said first-year analysts typically make $60,000 to 70,000 a year with a year-end bonus of about $40,000 to 70,000.

“There’s something always new every day,” he said. “I go into the office never really knowing what to expect.”

MBA or full-time job? You choose.

According to the U.S. News & World Report, the Kelley school is ranked 12th overall in the nation for undergraduate programs and 22nd for MBA programs. U.S. News also reports that 82.3 percent of its graduates in the MBA program have full-time jobs upon graduating. No statistics were available for undergraduates.

Some Kelley graduates have planned to continue schooling in various graduate or professional programs while many are still in search of jobs.

“I had a short stint working for a friend in Manhattan Beach, Calif., selling beer distribution systems while applying to full-time positions with other companies,” said 2009 Kelley graduate Brian Bulgatz. “My ideal job would be either strategic management consulting or economic research.”

The same is true for another 2009 Kelley grad, Roya Porter, whose temporary job at
JPMorgan Chase ends on September 18.  

“I definitely plan on furthering my education because a B.S. degree in today’s world is not enough,” Porter said. “IUPUI has a joint JD/MBA program that I’m considering.  
Hampton chose to get an MBA in the future for different reasons.

“Obtaining an MBA for me is all about networking,” Hampton said. “Many people in such programs are usually the people that are making moves in the future. It is also the prestige of an MBA and an affiliation with a good group of people that makes it appealing.”

Hampton’s former roommate, Jason Gearries, isn’t planning on getting an MBA, though he might later on. Gearries is currently a territory sales manager for Altria Sales & Distribution, parent company to Philip Morris USA.

“I have no plans on getting an MBA,” he said. “I was completely burned out from schooling halfway through my junior year and nothing has changed. Right now I am content in the position I am in, but I won’t rule it out for the future.”

Acquiring an MBA is less appealing for some other Kelley graduates.  

“I think it is a fallacy to assume that earning an MBA will guarantee one a legitimate high-paying position afterward,” Bulgatz said.  

Bulgatz also mentioned that he and his fellow classmates were told that an undergraduate degree from Kelley would ensure job security after graduation.

“Why would an MBA be any different?” he said. “Being a student is dissatisfying as it is, and if I’m going to devote the majority of my day toward work, I’d prefer to get paid for it.”

Other Kelley grads have looked outside the realm of traditional corporate America for jobs, entering more unexpected careers.

Joshua Zurawski, also a 2009 Kelley graduate, found peace with the job market when he landed a job at Mellow Johnny’s, the Lance Armstrong-owned bike shop. Zurawski left his Indiana home, frustrated due to a lack of opportunities. With a booming job market, he decided to settle in Austin, Texas.  

“I had no idea if Austin would work out, but it was well worth the risk,” he said. “I don’t even have a place to live yet and I’m couch-surfing, but I couldn’t be happier with my job.”

Key to the future

One thing most of the Kelley grads agree on is that securing internships while in school is highly important.  

Hampton completed an internship every summer of his college career with companies such as National City Bank, JPMorgan Chase and a medical insurance company.  

“My internships built upon one another and helped me realize that I wanted to be an investor on the highest level,” Hampton said. “My internship the summer before my senior year is what led to my position as a banking investment analyst now.”

Although Porter tried to find internships during her college years, it was difficult obtaining one. She said she would advise those pursuing internships to persevere.

Although these Kelley graduates have taken different paths in life - with some expected and unexpected turns - they all hope future Kelley alumni succeed.

Nevertheless, students are cautioned to get an early start on acquiring internships, with an added emphasis on building networks.

“Use networks to your advantage,” Hampton said. “There are IU alumni everywhere and out of the four people that were hired to work for JPMorgan Chase, two of them happen to be IU graduates.”