IU comes up short against Michigan 33-36

IU-Michigan Football

On a cloudy Saturday in Ann Arbor, the IU football team looked to make the day a little bit gloomier for Michigan fans, but came up short against the No. 23 Wolverines, losing 33-36.

Looking for their first 4-0 start since 1990, the Hoosiers entered the second quarter tied with Michigan, 14-14.

IU was tied with Michigan after one quarter, and two Nick Freeland field goals gave them a 20-14 lead for most of the second.  

Michigan responded with a Brandon Minor touchdown run, but IU took back the lead with another Freeland field goal after defensive end Jammie Kirlew recovered a Denard Robinson fumble.  

IU entered the half with a 23-21 lead, and Freeland kicked through a 32-yard field goal to push the Hoosiers ahead by five. 

Freeland, with his four, tied an IU record for most field goals in a game.

A touchdown from Michigan was followed with an 85-yard run by Darius Willis, who had a breakout game with 152 rushing yards and two touchdowns against Michigan.

In the final few minutes of the fourth quarter, though, Michigan quarterback Tate Fortier fired back, sending a 29-yard touchdown pass to the back of the end zone for his second passing score of the game.

IU quarterback Ben Chappell threw a controversial interception on the ensuing drive, causing coach Bill Lynch to explode with anger and ending the Hoosiers' chances for an upset.

Quarterback Ben Chappell was 21/38 passing for 270 yards, and Tandon Doss had five catches for 104 yards.       

Stay with www.idsnews.com and Hoosier Hype for continuous coverage of the Hoosiers’ Week Four matchup.