Former mayor to serve in Obama administration

John Fernandez

Former Bloomington Mayor and City Council President John Fernandez was sworn in Monday as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Economic Development for the Obama administration.

In his new position within the Economic Development Administration, Fernandez will help support the economic development needs of the nation’s distressed communities by promoting job growth and economic recovery in those areas.

“I look forward to working with EDA’s staff and our colleagues at the Department of Commerce as we work to promote innovation and restore economic growth in communities throughout the United States,” Fernandez said in a press release.

The administration has several programs through which distressed communities can obtain financial and technical assistance in stimulating their economies.

Cities and small towns facing high unemployment, low wages and business closings may apply for federal grants to boost the local economy.

Last year, the administration invested $281,282,000 in communities across
the country.

Indiana received $5,069,000 from the administration in the forms of planning grants and funding for public works projects. Of the $5 million, Purdue University received $170,000 for University Center Assistance.

Fernandez grew up in Kokomo, Ind., as the son of Spanish immigrants. He earned his bachelors and masters degrees from the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs and his law degree from what was then known as the IU School of Law.

He served on the Bloomington City Council for five years and was president of the council in 1991.

He served as Bloomington mayor from 1996 to 2003.

Bloomington City Council member Tim Mayer, who began serving on the council in 1997 when Fernandez was the city’s mayor, said the same qualities that made Fernandez an effective mayor will likely help him succeed in his new position.

“It’s an appropriate position for him because he was very much involved in economic development and job creation, both as a mayor and as a city council member,” Mayer said.

Mayer said Fernandez was able to restructure city government and reallocate resources to implement several crucial construction projects, including street improvements across Bloomington.

The downtown revitalization that Fernandez implemented as mayor brought the city more than $100 million in new investments, and his work to launch Bloomington’s Life Sciences Partnership brought $243 million in private investments and created more than 3,700 jobs, according to a press release from the White House.

Mayer said while Fernandez served on the City Council, he played an instrumental role in setting up a fund for social services in Bloomington.

He said Fernandez set it up with Jack Hopkins, a fellow councilmember for whom the fund is named. When Fernandez became mayor he expanded the fund.

“He also reorganized the city’s social services to make them more responsive and more effective,” Mayer said.

Mick Renneisen worked for Fernandez as Parks and Recreation director for the City of Bloomington, a position he still holds.

“John is an outstanding appointment to the Obama administration’s team,” Renneisen said in a statement. “He is a devoted public servant who truly cares about the needs of the people. His experience in Bloomington has prepared him well for his new role in
Washington.

“John understands the myriad factors that contribute to economic development and will use that experience to meet the employment challenges our country is facing.”