sports volleyball

1st IU-Purdue battle of fall season today

The 2009 Smithville Crimson and Gold Cup begins in a sport that saw both 2008 meetings between the two schools end in five-set thrillers.

The IU volleyball team hopes the results of those matches are different this year.
The Hoosiers (12-4, 1-1) play in West Lafayette for the first of two regular-season battles with Purdue (9-4, 1-1) at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The match also marks the first contest against the Boilermakers for any IU sport in the 2009-10 academic year.

IU coach Sherry Dunbar said her team needs to be mentally prepared for the rivalry match.

“The biggest thing for us is we’re going to scout them, just like we do everybody else,” Dunbar said. “But we’ve got to go up there understanding that’s our big rival. We’ve got to be ready to put it all out on the line.”

IU engaged in a pair of five-set matches against Purdue last season, losing each one.

Dunbar said the Hoosiers should expect more of the same from the rivalry given the recent history.

“It’s probably going to be a long match because ever since I’ve been here, it’s gone five,” Dunbar said. “It’s our rival. It’s a dogfight. So we’ve got to prepare for that kind of battle, I think.”

This battle will be IU’s third Big Ten match this season. The Hoosiers split the opening weekend of their conference slate, falling to then-No. 8 Michigan 3-0 Friday and then rebounding to beat then-No.16 Michigan State in four sets Saturday.

The Boilermakers opened their Big Ten schedule against the same two opponents, tallying the same results. Purdue handed Michigan State its first loss of 2008 on Friday and then fell to Michigan on Sunday.

Several freshman players made significant contributions for IU in their Big Ten debuts, including hitters Jordan Haverly and Kelci Marschall and middle blocker Samantha Thrower.

Dunbar said she was pleased to see her young players rise to the occasion against Michigan and Michigan State. She said it shows signs of things to come.

“If we can have freshmen come in and bring that energy and make impacts at that young of an age, that’s only going to help us in the future,” Dunbar said. “So I really like that they’re getting some playing time and making a difference out there.”

Thrower, who totaled 11 kills and six total blocks last weekend, said she is ready for her first IU-Purdue experience.

“I’m really, really excited,” she said. “We’re all fired up.”

Haverly, who currently leads the Hoosiers in kills per set with 3.57, agreed.

“We’re just going to focus on competing and coming out hard once we get there and showing them that Indiana is ready to take it to them,” Haverly said.

Dunbar said the veteran players on the team will also have to step up for Purdue as well as the rest of the Big Ten.

“We’ve got to get some more leadership on the floor and know that this is the Big Ten Conference, and we’ve got to step up,” Dunbar said.