Mayor supports single-payer health care option

Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan and eight members of the City council reiterated their long-standing support for a single-payer health care system – essentially a “Medicare-for-all” model.

The council members sent letters to Sens. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., and Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and Reps. Baron Hill, D-9th, and Steve Buyer, R-4th, urging them to support and move toward such a system.

In 1994 and 2006, the council passed formal resolutions in support of a single-payer model. But the idea has received little attention in the national health care reform debate.

“Deliberate misinformation from special interests have muddied the waters for a lot of people,” said Andy Ruff, city council president and at-large representative. “There’s billions of dollars of corporate profits at stake in this issue. That can still be cleared up, and people can still realize and recognize the truth of the matter.”

Since the council’s first policy statement, the number of Americans without health insurance grew from 38 million to 46 million. There are more than 15,000 Monroe County residents currently without health insurance.

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act, a health care reform bill proposed in the U.S. House of Representatives, contains an option for publicly funded health insurance. The bill would create a mixed marketplace of private and public insurance plans from which citizens could choose.

According to City council members, however, the public option will not do enough to protect Americans from the weaknesses of private insurance – such as “extraordinary administrative waste” that leads to increased costs.

A single-payer system would eliminate the private insurance industry altogether, making a single government-run entity the sole provider. Health care would be publicly financed and privately delivered.

Ruff said a single-payer system is the only way to extend access to affordable health insurance to all Americans. He pointed to Medicare and the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs health care system as successful examples of single-payer models in America.

“I don’t think it’s over yet,” Ruff said. “I don’t think that those who advocate for Medicare-for-all should retreat and throw in the towel. Given some time and unpolluted dialogue, discussion and information, people can see and understand what our best options are and move in the direction that we need to go.”

Signing members were Council President Andy Ruff, Vice President Isabel Piedmont-Smith and Representatives Steve Volan, Tim Mayer, Susan Sandberg, Chris Sturbaum, Mike Satterfield and Dave Rollo. Brad Wisler was the only council member that did not sign the letters.

“For me, this is an ethical issue as well as an economic one,” Sandberg said in statement. “Too many Americans are un- and underinsured, and far too many are suffering in a country that can and should do better. I can no longer remain silent as our nation’s health deteriorates.”