IU has reached a tentative agreement with State Senator Luke Kenley to help make school more affordable for in-state students, said University spokesman Larry MacIntyre.
While nothing is definite, MacIntyre said the University was pleased with talks between Kenley and IU President Michael McRobbie, and both parties said that an official agreement might be announced sometime next week.
On Sunday, Kenley said he would not approve the building plans for IU or Purdue until the universities lower the tuition increases passed last month.
But on Thursday Kenley announced that he will put two of IU’s six building plans back on today’s agenda for approval by the State Budget Committee.
Kenley, as chairman of the budget committee, has to approve all building projects proposed by state schools.
The senator has criticized both schools for tuition increases while many Hoosier families are struggling to deal with the recession. Last month IU approved a 4.6 percent tuition increase, and Purdue approved a 5 percent increase.
Although Kenley asked both schools to lower their increases, MacIntyre said that would require the board of trustees to meet again and revote.
“The trustees have not indicated any desire to revisit their decision,” MacIntyre said.
Rather, MacIntyre said the University was working on other options to help make school more affordable for in-state students, although he would not say what these options could include.
IU strikes tentative deal with state senator
Get stories like this in your inbox
Subscribe



