sports women's soccer

Hoosiers roll past Evansville

Women's Soccer

Indiana extended its regular season shutout streak to five games and recorded its second win against Evansville (1-1-0) Friday night, winning by a score of 3-0.

IU (2-0-0) came out aggressive in the first half, capitalizing on turnovers and really putting the pressure on the Aces’ defense. The Hoosiers got on the board early in the 18th minute, when sophomore Devon Beach stuck one from the outside box for the early 1-0 lead, with the assist going to Chloe McKay.

Then, in the 31st minute, freshman Orianica Velasquez-Herrera scored her first goal of her career in her first game as a Hoosier by riffling a long blast in the far corner coming off a turnover and an assist from Beach.

“(Orianica) brings a lot of creativity and a different style of play,” Beach said. “So it’s nice to try and work off of it.”

The Hoosiers switched to a protective style of play in the second half, but that didn’t stop Jocelyn Moses from getting in on the action. Towards the end of the 76th minute, Moses put the game out of reach by taking advantage of a Carly Samp cross that snuck through the defenders where Jocelyn was waiting to put the ball in the back of the net. It helped preserve the lead and allowed IU to play even more defensively to ensure the shutout, prolonging the streak to 510 minutes.

“Lindsay has been putting herself in great positions to not allow rebounds,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “And we’re just very good at the back. Having the same players back from last year playing the same roles, they’re just very organized and we’re just bearing the fruit of that right now.”

IU only allowed three shots on goal the entire game.

Indiana will turn around on Sunday to take on Central Michigan at Bill Armstrong Stadium at 2 pm.