A step back

Tantric

Tantric 2.0 has returned with “Mind Control,” the Louisville, Ky., band’s fourth album overall. It’s the second since lead singer Hugo Ferreira parted ways with the original members of Tantric, leaving him as the only remaining original member. “Mind Control” came out surprisingly fast, just more than a year after 2008’s “The End Begins.” This could in part be the reason the release seems less enticing.

Commencing with the title track, the album gets off to a racing start. Ferreira’s distinct voice lights the way from the energetic verses to the melodic, refrained chorus. He’s always had the ability to create memorable melodies that continue to grow on you and stick in your head. In this case, Ferreira’s soaring vocals are what you ultimately remember as he proclaims, “Mind Control / Gotta keep your head strong / Mind control / Make your own opinions.”

Following “Mind Control” is “Fall to the Ground,” which starts out with a killer guitar riff before going into a softer chorus. Although similar to “Mind Control” in prose, the two songs vary greatly in overall sound. “Fall” has a feel-good vibe to it, and lyrically it deals with moving on after a breakup.

Although the first two tracks are fairly decent, the rest of the album falters in many areas from then on.

“Coming Undone” unsuccessfully vibes on System Of A Down, with Ferreira sounding downright annoying at times (despite a nice guitar solo from guitarist Joe Pessia), and on “Kick Back,” Ferreira’s Kid Rock impression also falls flat, sounding even more obnoxious than Rock himself.

“Mind Control” could be looked at as a rebuilding record, considering it’s only the second release since the band was restructured. That could perhaps be the reason for the lack of depth and originality displayed. The current lineup has definitely proven its ability, especially Pessia, whose virtuosic guitar playing could bring in an interesting niche to the fold. But Tantric 2.0 has some work to do to improve on its next effort.