world

Palin faces questions as she exits Alaska politics before term ends

Palin Resignation

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin gained fame – and, to some, infamy – since she embarked on a vice-presidential bid less than a year ago.

Her surprising departure from Alaska’s top office is gaining her something else: questions over her motives and next big move.

She left office Sunday with her political future clouded by ethics probes, mounting legal bills and dwindling popularity. A new Washington Post-ABC poll puts her favorability rating at 40 percent, with 53 percent giving her an unfavorable rating.

The Republican governor faces an array of queries about why she is quitting more than year before her term ends and what she plans to do after she steps down.

Palin has said little about any major moves but has hinted she has a bigger role in mind. She is scheduled to speak Aug. 8 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, and has said she plans to write a book, campaign for political candidates from coast to coast and build a right-of-center coalition.

Above all, Palin plans to continue speaking her mind on the social networking site Twitter.

“Ain’t gonna shut my mouth / I know there’s got to be a few hundred million more like me / Just trying to keep it free,” Palin said in a recent Tweet, quoting the song “Rollin’,” by the country singers Big & Rich.

Such folksy offerings endear Palin to millions of fans, including more than 100,000 who follow her on Twitter. But are they enough to launch a political movement?

Political scientist Jerry McBeath said the answer isn’t clear.

“In the context of 305 million Americans, 100,000 is not a lot of followers,” he said.