Dropping weight helps the economy

Well, ladies and gentleman, the new polls are out and the verdict is in. Drum roll please. America is fatter (surprise, surprise). A new report released by Trust for America’s Health shows 23 states’ adult obesity rates increased. No state’s adult obesity rate decreased.

Mississippi defended its top ranking for the fifth straight year, and Alabama and West Virginia were hot on its heels. Meanwhile, Colorado continued as the slimmest state in the country.  

The fact that America continues its trend of over-indulgence should come as no surprise. We love big portions and greasy meals – just look at our national foods: hot dogs, hamburgers and freedom fries (you get no love from me, France).

I watch the Fourth of July hot dog eating competition religiously each year. Some small part of me likes watching men and women try to shove down as many Nathan’s hot dogs as possible in a 10-minute span. Especially because Joey “Jaws” Chestnut has brought the title home to America the last three years. It’s part of being an American.  

Unfortunately, this obsession with eating might not be as harmless as entertainment on our national holiday. As the baby boomers age, the number of obese people covered by Medicare is going to skyrocket.

The problem is the dangers that exist for obese Americans. They are more likely to contract heart disease, diabetes and kidney problems, and they are more likely to need knee or hip replacements. These people are putting themselves at unnecessary risk for premature death.

The harsh economic reality is that death is the best fiscal scenario. Obese Americans who qualify for Medicare are draining the system. The direct cost of obesity care in 2003 was $75 billion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That number has only increased during the past six years. So obesity is no longer just a health issue, but an economic one as well.

And it should be treated as such.

The federal government needs to begin looking at obesity as it would look at smoking or excessive drinking. If you are morbidly obese, you should not qualify for certain Medicare procedures. Of course, this cannot be the case across the board because mental issues do play a part.

But it is unfair to Americans who practice a healthy lifestyle to be burdened with the debt of paying for those who indulge excessively. The billions of dollars spent on obesity could be redirected into helping research a cure for Alzheimer’s or diabetes. People with these ailments might have lived healthy and responsible lives, yet their care is being siphoned.

Medicare was designed to support people who can no longer support themselves. If there were a standard at which obese people would no longer receive treatment, the number of obese Americans would drop. So let the dieting begin.