Comic-Con Report: What's Buzzing

Cory Barker

Once an off-the-mainstream event for “geeks,” Comic-Con has become an annual tentpole event for every prong of the entertainment industry, especially for film and TV productions. Though “old fans” say the Con is too mainstream and Hollywood-ized, no one can deny the importance it now has in terms of building buzz for a new geek-friendly production.

Films like “Iron Man 2,” “New Moon” and “Avatar” took most of the headlines, but I find television to be more interesting. Thus, the following will be my analysis of the buzz created for certain programs based on what they showed at Comic-Con, with a 1-5 scale (5 being the buzziest). Obviously, I was not there to experience the event, but that’s what Twitter is for, right?

“Lost”

The TV show that made Comic-Con OK for TV productions, the “Lost” crew has had an excessively popular presence at each Con since before the show even began (the pilot screening there in 2004 was the first for live audiences), and this year was no different.

People waited in line overnight to pack into the hall where the showrunners, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, fielded questions and dropped only a few hints about the final season: more Richard Alpert, Juliet and Faraday, less Dharma, and episodes that feel like season one. Plus, it looks like a new alternative-reality game was created with a new Web site – LostUniversity.com. Could have used another answer or two, though.
Buzz meter 4, on reputation alone

“Chuck”

After a rousing meta-introduction from the show’s music group Jeffster, the “Chuck” panel dished out a few hints about its third season (the “Chuck-fu” we saw in the finale won’t work as planned; Chuck and Sarah are headed for rough waters), but you have to appreciate the entire cast coming out to thank the fans who started a fan campaign to buy from one of the program’s main sponsors – Subway – which legitimately helped it return for a third season. But the show not debuting until 2010 hurts the momentum built up here.
Buzz meter 3

“True Blood”

The latest cult phenomenon made a pretty big splash at the Con, which is certainly helped by the fact that it is running new episodes every Sunday. Even among other vampire-related projects at the Con (the new “Twilight” flick “New Moon” and a CW show, “Vampire Diaries”), “True Blood” was noted to have the loudest audience around. And by revealing a real-life TruBlood drink to hit the stores soon and talking next season (hello, werewolves) it’s hard to deny this show’s appeal.
Buzz meter 5

“Smallville”

The show might be creatively uneven and sometimes makes its audience feel like an abused dog that always returns to its owner obediently, but the Sunday morning “Smallville” panel has become a hallmark of the Con. More than 6,000 people packed in to see the whole cast, including the extremely press-resistant star Tom Welling, who before this had probably not done a show-related appearance since 2006. Plus, early production allowed the crew to present new footage, which included Welling’s Clark Kent in a prototype Superman uniform – “S” shield included. Whoa.
Buzz meter 5, but surely the writers will piss it away by episode three

“Heroes”

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. After being the panel to attend the last few years, the “Heroes” crew couldn’t even decide if there would be a panel. When it did, it disappointed as much as the show has during the last two years. The big ideas presented for season four? Giving Claire (Hayden Panettiere) a lesbian relationship and Hiro a terminal disease.
Buzz meter 0

“Supernatural”

In maybe the biggest announcement made at the Con, “Supernatural” showrunner Eric Kripke informed the audience that the long-standing plan to go only five seasons has been scrapped because the show is actually gaining in popularity. That news, along with Kripke’s plan to keep the story moving forward anyway, is music to “Supernatural” fans’ ears.
Buzz meter
4

And there you have it, folks. Those are some of the biggest winners and losers coming out of Comic-Con. Check out the blog (www.idsnews.com/blogs/weekendwatchers) for more Con analysis and more potshots at “Heroes.” Man, that show sucks.