Seniors tell Gulf Coast trip, coaching and Straight No Chaser stories

From the Sample Gates to Assembly Hall, across the floors of the Herman B Wells Library and through the corridors of the Indiana Memorial Union, the senior class of 2009 has left its mark across campus.

Seniors such as Jimmy Morrow, Marcie Klebanow and Jason Jacobs are leaving a legacy at the University to join a family of more than 520,000 alumni.

The Hoosiers comprise the third largest alumni network in the world, behind Penn State and the University of Illinois. All graduating seniors from IU’s eight campuses built a story during their time. These three seniors define just a small percentage of the cream and crimson graduating seniors, but their stories define the Hoosier name.

Senior remembers Little 500, trips to Gulf Coast

Senior Jimmy Morrow came to IU like most freshmen, only having ridden a bike for fun as a kid. After attending his first Little 500, Morrow fell in love with cycling, pedaling his way through the next three years.

“It definitely made my college experience,” Morrow said.

Although he spends about 15 hours per week training for the “Greatest College Weekend,” Morrow has found time to be involved in Youth Advocating Leadership and Learning, a student organization founded in response to
Hurricane Katrina.

“I started going on trips my freshman year down to the Gulf Coast region, and ever since then I’ve become more involved,” Morrow said. “Now I’m in charge of helping plan the trips. This summer I’m going to be going on my eighth trip down to the Gulf Coast.”

Morrow is also a brother in Sigma Chi fraternity and role model to two biological
younger brothers on campus. A campus, he said, offers more than can be put into words.

“It’s just a place where you can start to go after your goals, your dreams and accomplish so much,” Morrow said.

Soccer coach hopes to use IU philosophies

While most teenagers spend their high school years building friendships, senior Marcie Klebanow spent her time on the soccer field – not just playing, but coaching.

Klebanow could be described as a visitor-center tour guide or as a member
of Phi Gamma Delta and Alpha Lambda Delta honors fraternities. But the title that describes Klebanow most is “varsity coach.”

Her varsity coaching experience began as a freshman in high school and continued when she became a Hoosier. Klebanow spent her freshman year on the sideline as the IU women’s assistant volunteer coach.

She has been working at the youth level for the Cutters travel program in Bloomington. In the past, she had been an assistant for Blomington High School South.

She will not leave soccer behind after graduation – an assistant coaching position for a women’s soccer team awaits her. Klebanow said she hopes to apply what she has learned at IU to her own life and future.

“Indiana University is a place that you can learn to call your home while furthering your own individual development with a family of 36,000 students,” she said.

Klebanow said she looks to one day become a Division I women’s soccer coach, using the philosophies she learned around Bloomington on the grassy soccer fields.

Straight No Chaser member reminisces

Senior Jason Jacobs likes it straight, no chaser – his singing style, that is.
Jacobs is a member of the 10-person men’s a cappella group Straight No Chaser.

“Straight No Chaser is a lifestyle,” Jacobs said. “It’s not just a singing group. It’s like hanging out with 10 of your best friends 24 hours a day.”

From auditoriums to sorority houses, Jacobs has traveled to all sorts of places with Straight No Chaser.

“My favorite part of my senior year was getting to travel all across the country during finals,” Jacobs said. “While 37,000 other people were in taking finals, I was in Washington, D.C., Cincinnati, Seattle, Indianapolis, you name it.”

A music performance major and member of the a cappella group for three years, Jacobs has spent hours in the world of music, but also in the world of a college student.

“I’ve gone streaking, danced in Showalter Fountain, participated in four Little 500s successfully, and I was even part of the Quidditch team over at Collins,” Jacobs said.

Although Jacobs said he is sad to see his senior year come to a close, he remembers a majority of his moments around what he said is one of the coolest campuses ever.
“It’s a place where anybody can really come and find themselves,” Jacobs said.