Easy to forget

Ruben Studdard

Six years after his “American Idol” debut, Ruben Studdard is still trying to make his mark on the music scene. His recently released fourth album, “Love IS,” is a fairly bland compilation of 10 original old-school R&B songs and a few covers of some unexpected rock and R&B classics.

“Love IS” opens with the upbeat “Together,” a song that maintains a solid level of energy while showcasing the pipes that led Studdard to the top of the “American Idol” competition. His velvety vocals really shine on the slower tracks, including “My Love Is a Rock” and “We Got Love (That’s Enough),” which give him space to show his voice’s richness and impressive range.

Several of the album’s songs, however, have melodies and lyrics riddled with child-like cheesiness that quickly become annoying. In “Song for Her,” Studdard declares his desire to write a “special song” for that “special girl,” while in “How You Make Me Feel,” he croons that he wants “to be in love again” and “hope(s) it never ends.”

Studdard’s cover of Michael Jackson’s “I Can’t Help It” is strong vocally but sounds outdated and out of place, while his rendition of Al Green’s “For the Good Times” is a fresh take on a classic track that blends well with the rest of the songs on the album. His remake of The Beatles’ classic “The Long and Winding Road” is a risky choice for Studdard, and although his voice sounds wonderful singing Paul McCartney’s lyrics, the cover sounds stilted set to R&B beats. His take on Extreme’s “More than Words” sounds nice enough but lacks the infectious energy and on-point harmonies of the original.

Overall, “Love IS” is a pleasant album for easy listening but easy to forget.