Yogi’s patrons let loose on Dyngus Day

Jooski Buffoonski and the rest of the Buffoonski Brothers take down a shotski. Dyngus Day is more commonly known as Easter Monday, and celebrated regularly in only a few cities around the nation.

Electric hair wigs, flashing neon beer logos and shotskis abounded Monday at Yogi’s Grill and Bar as patrons celebrated the restaurant’s 16th annual Dyngus Day, a Polish holiday that celebrates the end of Lent.

The day involves partaking in Polish foods and mismatching fashions. Employees, customers and clowns alike took part in the festivities.

Server Joelle Janssen said Dyngus Day is her favorite holiday and dressed as a clown to celebrate it.  She pointed to the back bar, which was quickly filling up with customers.

“By midnight, you won’t be able to walk in here,” she said.

Junior Tyler Deaton said he was curious about Yogi’s and decided to join in the fun.
“I’ve never been here before,” he said. “I’d like to have some drinks and try to polka dance.”

Senior Brad Trimble said he was also a first-timer at Dyngus Day.

“The polka music is really cool, and I saw one guy dressed in bright overall shorts,” he said. “It’s absolutely nuts. And I definitely don’t know how to polka dance, but I’ll try.”
Just as Trimble said this, a beer-wielding man with a stained white shirt stumbled toward the performing Buffoonski Brothers polka band. Nearby couples waltzed amid the chaos.

“I feel so out-of-place,” the drunk man said.

The Buffoonski Brothers appeared excited for the turnout, however.

“This is the best Dyngus Day ever!” one of the members said.

Andi AufderHeyde, known as “Hobby,” a local professional clown, stood nearby.

“My son, who is in The Buffoonski Brothers, bought me my accordion in October,” she said. “I’m having my first recital here on Dyngus Day at Yogi’s.”

Hostess Averie Daniel said this year’s Dyngus Day celebration was exciting.
“You get to meet all sorts of new people,” she said.

Daniel said this is her second year working during the holiday, but her favorite memory occurred last year and involved a man in a leopard-print thong and coconut bra.

“He hit on me,” she said. “I turned him down and he threw beer on me, but it was all in good fun.”
Bartender Jackson Heiss said this year is proving to be a challenge for him because he normally bartends, and this is his first year working Dyngus Day as a manager.

“It’s a little bit scarier, but it’s still a lot of fun,” he said. “Customers seem to be getting a lot more into it this year. Costumes are way more elaborate than last year.”

Despite the expected drunken scenes from a bar, there were also families around who enjoyed the culture of the holiday.

AufderHeyde played accordion at a few tables, while patrons ate hard-boiled eggs and Polish sausage sandwiches.

Mike Glasscott, who works for Spirit 95.1 FM and AM 1370 WGCL, said this was his fifth year doing a live broadcast at Dyngus Day.

“It’s been a great turnout for an indoor event,” he said. “People are having a great time rockin’, having a good time with friends.”