Team splits Big Ten games

After a solid four match Big Ten win streak, IU (14-9, 6-4) dropped two consecutively before beating Michigan State to end the regular season with a win.

No. 43 IU started off its final home weekend with a loss to No. 18 Michigan, 5-2.
IU’s recurring season theme of dropping the doubles point happened against the Wolverines, with only sophomores Maria Guerreiro and Katya Zapadalova able to win their match.

Sophomore Myriam Sopel was able to win the first point for the Hoosiers, downing her opponent in two sets. Junior Lindsey Stuckey picked up the other point, with a three set win.

“We did a good job in doubles and almost got the doubles point,” Fischer said. “In singles they were kind of overpowering us in some positions.”

On Sunday, the Hoosiers earned a victory 5-2 over Michigan.

The cream and crimson not only picked up the doubles point against the Spartans, but swept the matches.

Senior Alba Berdala’s final match in Bloomington was a 6-1, 6-0 win. Senior Sigrid Fischer finished her Hoosier home record with a blanking of the third set. Wins also came from Sopel and fellow sophomore Charlotte Martin.

“This morning I thought I really want to win,” Fischer said. “I went into the matches pumped for doubles and I wanted to win singles. It was awesome I won both.”