NPR’s Terry Gross to speak at auditorium

The IU Auditorium season will get a breath of fresh air Wednesday evening – National Public Radio’s “Fresh Air,” that is.

Terry Gross, the host and co-executive producer of the award-winning talk show, will share her favorite memories and experiences from 34 years of “Fresh Air” history.

“Fresh Air,” which is produced by NPR-affiliate WHYY in Philadelphia, is heard by almost 4.5 million listeners from more than 450 NPR stations across the country, according to the show’s official Web site.

Gross is also the author of “All I Did Was Ask: Conversations with Writers, Actors, Musicians and Artists,” published in 2004.

Gross, who is known for her wide range of topics and guests, has interviewed thousands of musicians, politicians, economists, actors, doctors and authors. Recent episodes have featured actors from NBC’s “The Office,” James Franco, Bloomington’s own John Mellencamp and the late Natasha Richardson.

“The thing that is distinguishing about her is that she has interviewed so many different kinds of people,” said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium. “She really has an expansive knowledge of many different subjects.”

Booher has been a fan of Gross for more than 10 years and worked hard to ensure her spot in the 2008-09 auditorium season, which is dominated by musicals and other large-scale acts. Other past literary notables at the auditorium include David Sedaris, Ira Glass and Garrison Keillor.

WFIU, the local NPR affiliate, will sponsor a private reception for Gross and WFIU members after her presentation. Gross is supportive of local NPR stations, said Christina Kuzmych, the station manager.

“She’s very eager to work with the stations to meet the public, meet the listeners and have that one-on-one contact,” Kuzmych said.

Some of Kuzmych’s favorite “Fresh Air” memories are from Gross’ post-9/11 coverage and the war in Iraq.

“At the very initial stages she had the guts to ask the question of ‘What is it that we’re doing here?’ before many other interviewers started asking those questions,” Kuzmych said. “She plowed right in.”

Gross will share clips from her favorite and least favorite interviews and discuss major highlights from her career. Toward the end, she will let the audience ask her questions, Booher said.

“She’s remarkable,” Booher said. “It’s a great opportunity for students – not just journalism or telecommunications majors, but for students who have an interest in learning about the world around them.”