New local stores sprout,cater to special interests

Figurines and a game of Mouse Trap occupy the shelves of the Curiodrome on Monday afternoon. The Curiodrome, on East Sixth Street, is a consignment shop and art flea market that opened last week.

Curiodrome and Dope Couture are two new shops that recently opened in Bloomington. Their differences are vast, yet the two shops are very similar in theory.

The quality both of these stores share is that they offer specific merchandise nearly impossible to find anywhere else. Whether or not customers care or are happy about this fact will probably vary, as these stores target different kinds of consumers.

Curiodrome is a novelty shop with rare finds, while Dope Couture caters to men seeking
“urban” attire.

Curiodrome, located at 120 E. Sixth Street, held its grand opening March 13 and featured performances by Early Day Miners, Smedley Jergins and Eric Ayotte. The store features vintage clothing, local art and a variety of memorabilia, such as Japanese candy and collectible action figures.

A door in the back of the shop leads to a room with old movie theater seats and an an amplifier. One day the store hopes to utilize this space for film screenings and dance parties, said IU alumna and Curiodrome volunteer Kristin Londergan.

The store recently began weekly film screenings at 8 p.m. every Sunday.
Dope Couture, which opened three weeks ago, is located in the former Wandering Turtle Art Gallery on the corner of College Avenue and Sixth Street. Originally, Dope Couture wanted to use the space Curiodrome utilizes due to its proximity to Rise Skateboard Shop, said Matt Fields, Dope Couture owner and IU fifth-year senior majoring in entrepreneurship.

The store has a Los Angeles kind of vibe, akin to the “Entourage” wardrobe.

It sells its own line of clothing, that includes graphic T-shirts, as well as skateboard decks and some name-brand sunglasses and shoes. Many of Dope Couture’s designs are heavily influenced by high-end fashion, Fields said.

The most notable products are their skateboard decks with a Goyard graphic on the bottom and Jetsons graphics printed on several T-shirts.

Although the store is currently somewhat empty, there are plans for growth.
“What you see is the seed of the store that will be here,” Fields said.