Hoosiers split Big Ten games on the road

Sophomore Maria Guerreiro serves against Iowa on April 4 at the Outdoor Tennis Courts. The Hoosiers face Michigan on Saturday at 11 a.m. at home.

Opening their road trip with a 6-1 win against Penn State, the Hoosiers (13-8, 5-3) closed the weekend losing 7-0 to No. 43 Ohio State.

With eight of 20 matches this season decided by a 4-3 score, the Hoosiers said their struggles were related to losing the doubles point.

However, No. 38 IU won the doubles point against the Nittany Lions on Friday.

Smooth sailing continued for the Hoosiers as they won two singles matches before dropping a match. Senior Alba Berdala, junior Lindsey Stuckey and sophomores Myriam Sopel and Charlotte Martin all won in straight sets to solidify the match. Sophomore Katya Zapadalova pushed her match three sets for the win.

Yet the Hoosiers were not able to break down the Buckeyes on Sunday. IU was unable to pick up a single match in nine played.

“We were very, very close to winning four of the first sets,” IU coach Lin Loring said.
Senior Sigrid Fischer lost the match in three sets. Both Berdala and Martin pushed their matches to a first-set tiebreak before eventually losing.

“If Alba and Charlotte had won the first sets, it could have been a very different match because that would have kind of turned the momentum for us,” Loring said.