Hoosiers get another crack at Ohio State

A reflection of the season will show two losses to Big Ten teams, Northwestern and Ohio State. The fifth-seeded Hoosiers drew No. 4 seed Ohio State for their first Big Ten Tournament match.

After the regular season indoor loss against Ohio State, IU coach Lin Loring said the Hoosiers would have had a better shot against the Buckeyes outdoors.

“Overall, they’re more of a power team than we are, so it’s easy to play power tennis indoors,” he said. “It will definitely help us more to play the match outdoors. Right now, according to the weather forecast, we’re going to play outdoors.”

The Hoosiers will be given another chance to write a new score against the Buckeyes on Thursday, playing outside, weather permitting.

With the match taking place in Madison, Wis., neither IU (14-9, 6-4) nor Ohio State (14-9, 7-3) will carry the home court advantage.

Ohio State beat IU 7-0 on April 12 in Columbus, Ohio.

“A lot of the matches were close in singles,” Loring said. “We just need to play better in doubles.”

The Hoosiers and Buckeyes will compete to play against No. 1 Northwestern, which has not lost a conference match all season.

“We don’t have to do a lot of things different,” Loring said. “It just came down to big points in singles. They won them, we didn’t.”