world

Gay West Point grads target ban on serving openly

As a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy, Dan Choi faced an ethical dilemma.

The academy’s honor code was clear, beginning “A cadet will not lie.” Yet as a gay man, Choi felt bound by the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy to be untruthful about who he was.

Last month, six years after his graduation and two years after serving in Iraq, Choi came out – even though he remains an infantry officer in the Army National Guard.

His announcement in mid-March was part of the launch of Knights Out, the first association representing gay and lesbian alumni of West Point. Already, it has at least 50 members who have publicly identified themselves on the group’s Web site.

Its stated mission is to advocate for repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” so that gays can serve openly in the military, and to help prepare the West Point community to be effective leaders after that policy change occurs.

Under the policy, which President Barack Obama said he wants to repeal after consultation with the Pentagon, the military does not ask recruits about their sexual orientation, while service members are banned from saying they are gay or engaging in homosexual activity.

“Forcing people to lie – it’s absolutely a morally bankrupt idea,” Choi said in a telephone interview from his home in Orange County, Calif.