Draft master looks to work magic

Think back to the spring of 1998 and the jeers ringing from the Indianapolis Colts’ fan section at the NFL Draft. These antics, directed at first-year Colts General Manager Bill Polian, were instigated by the team’s selection of Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning over Washington State’s heralded quarterback Ryan Leaf with the team’s first overall pick.

Despite leading the Volunteers to a 39-5 record as a starter and the 1997 SEC Championship, Manning was coming off a 42-17 curb-stomping at the hands of Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. The Vols’ inability to win big games landed them outside of today’s Bowl Championship Series games three times, and in the Citrus Bowl twice.

This earned the infamous quote from South Carolina coach and former Florida head man Steve Spurrier, “You can’t spell Citrus without UT.” On that note, don’t forget Manning never beat archrival Florida.

And then there was Leaf, a first team All-American (edging out Manning), passing for almost 8,000 yards in just three years, and leading his team to its first Rose Bowl appearance since the 1931 season. Like Manning, he was a Heisman Trophy finalist.

Needless to say, the unpopular choice proved to be the right one.

The three-time MVP Manning led his team to the 2006 Lombardi Trophy and five AFC South titles while rewriting franchise and league record books. As Manning cemented his spot in NFL history and continued to punch his ticket to the Hall of Fame, Leaf got caught up in physical exchanges with the media, moving around the league and ultimately retiring to coach golf and football at West Texas A&M University.

History almost repeated itself the next year, as Polian and the Colts opted for Miami running back Edgerrin James over Heisman winner Ricky Williams of Texas. While James racked up yards, Pro Bowls and division championships, Williams spent time in jail contemplating his religion as a result of drug charges.

Now, after multiple seasons of mediocre rush defense and the unpredictable availability of safety Bob Sanders, the Colts nation has been calling for someone. Someone big. Someone nasty. Someone with an attitude. Someone who would add bulk to an undersized defense.

When the Colts were on the clock  Saturday with the 27th pick in the draft, it looked like the blue nation’s wishes could come true. USC inside linebacker Ray Maualuga (easily a guy who meets the above requirements) was surprisingly still on the board, as was Florida State defensive end Everette Brown.

Polian again went against the crowd and took Connecticut running back Donald Brown. A running back? For the fourth time in 15 years?

Although no boos rang from the crowd, there was some obvious curiosity among Colts fans as to why both a probable first-round linebacker and defensive end were passed up. Here are three reasons to buy into the pick.

1. After watching highlights from Brown’s career at UConn, it’s easy to see he is a physical back who runs hard downhill, adds depth and could solve some of the sideline-to-sideline running problems the Colts have had since the James days.

2. Mind you, embarrassing performances in rush defense have haunted the Colts for the past three regular seasons and past two postseasons. The Colts, who finished in the bottom half of the league in rush defense over the last three seasons and dead last in 2006, needed something to end the agony after the 2008 wild-card loss at San Diego. The decision of Jim Caldwell, the Colts’ coach, and the front office not to renew the contract of former defensive coordinator Ron Meeks without many personnel changes shows they think there may be something to work with in terms of the physicality and run-stopping abilities of the defense.

If there is, new coordinator Larry Coyer must make sure it happens fast; else he might be out of a job and Polian’s draft magic might be put on hold to aid an ailing defense that must complement a young, promising offense.

3. Ever heard the cliche “You’ve got to run the ball in January”?

Talk to some guys like Marshall Faulk of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, Corey Dillon of the 2004 New England Patriots and Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. Each of these three teams made the Super Bowl, and in each of those Super Bowls, the winners’ backfields produced a net of more than 110 yards.

The question of whether or not Polian’s untouchable draft reputation will hold out is yet to be answered. Just as was true with Manning and James, only time will tell.